Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: some effects work, some do not

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: some effects work, some do not

Went ahead and opened the bug report as I figure if this can help someone else I should make time now. Thanks and feel free to let me know if there is anything else you need from me. I plan to fix the rest in the next couple of hours as time allows.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for creating the ticket and attaching the profile. I was able to locate the bug. It is in the dimming curve and occurs when the dimming curve is last after the color handling like you had yours. It would not pass values that were less than 100% brightness on the input side. So any effect that did not produce a 255 output value from a color channel. So the pulse would only have had one frame potentially that would meet that criteria. I am not sure how the chase would be working as it would have had hit and miss values as well. The workaround is to patch with the dimming curve first, before the color handling which is likely the normal use case most folks would use and why it has not come up. I will get the fix into a dev build soon.
    Last edited by jeffu231; 11-26-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome and thanks for the detail, I always appreciate it. I posted the problem about 24 hours ago, posted the supporting detail a couple of hours ago and we have identified the problem. That is solid and why I have stuck with Vixen, the developers have always been present and helpful on top of it being a great program. Side note, this is my 11th year in this hobby and Jon has helped me MANY times!

Post Thanks / Like

First night of show and got a few issues especially with chase and wipe. Some props only a few pixels would light. It's hard to say exactly how many sequences are being affected. Preview looks fine but not so good in actual running mode. Not sure how to proceed from here unless I go in and change every chase and wipe. That could be really time consuming and not even sure that will fix it.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any dimming curves setup on the problem props that are after the color breakdown in the patching?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    Do you have any dimming curves setup on the problem props that are after the color breakdown in the patching?
    The sequences are from the past 3 years. I didn't change anything. I'll have to go in and check.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    The sequences are from the past 3 years. I didn't change anything. I'll have to go in and check.

There is a bug in the dimming curves that was introduced with the changes this year and I am looking to se if you are affected by that. It occurs if the dimming curve is after the breakdown instead of before it. If the effects look right in the preview and not on the actual lights, the issue is likely in the color handling / dimming flow that is after the preview samples the effect data.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    There is a bug in the dimming curves that was introduced with the changes this year and I am looking to se if you are affected by that. It occurs if the dimming curve is after the breakdown instead of before it. If the effects look right in the preview and not on the actual lights, the issue is likely in the color handling / dimming flow that is after the preview samples the effect data.
    I'm not sure if I should delete the effect and use another one or wait for a fix. The problem is finding which props are messing up. I have lights at each end of the property, about 200 feet apart. It's hard to monitor every prop supporting 8 sequences.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    I'm not sure if I should delete the effect and use another one or wait for a fix. The problem is finding which props are messing up. I have lights at each end of the property, about 200 feet apart. It's hard to monitor every prop supporting 8 sequences.

I am having trouble reconciling the issues you are having. If the effects look right in the preview and are not right on the actual lights then I can't see how replacing the effects would resolve that based on how the logic works. If the preview is right and the lights are different, then it almost has to be in the color handling / dimming /controller parts of the flow. If you could isolate it to a particular prop and section of a sequence that is not working and verify for sure it looks correct in the preview we can start to narrow it down. As of right now, I don't have any other fixes I am working on, so we need to troubleshoot your issue to figure out what might be going wrong.

Edit: There is a known bug we just found a day or two ago in this thread that I have fixed in the lastest dev builds that could exhibit similar behavior of effects looking ok in the preview, but not working on the the lights. And that is where I was headed with checking the location of the dimming curves on the effected props.
    Last edited by jeffu231; 11-29-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

@pmiller, were you able to do any further diagnostics to help narrow down what might be going on?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast