Thread: Trying to keep it simple, but the sequencing software is not friendly

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trying to keep it simple, but the sequencing software is not friendly

I posted earlier about controlling a couple strands of pixels, essentially I wanted to make my own light strands with addressable lighting effects. I picked up the falcon picap and I have a string of lights connected and powered no problem. However I was disappointed to see that falcon player itself does not have much in it aside from some very simple test animatons. So I installed xLights. I reviewed some videos to get an idea of its project flow and went from there. My first hiccup was drawing my layout. Well.. my layout involves lights circling a tree in rings. One of the oldest, most simplistic forms of a light stringing in the history of christmas, and it is pretty much undoable in xlights using its drawing tools. So I relented, at first I made it a single line and went to sequencing from there, but I did a little work and drew several lines, mapping out how many lights were in each ring. After all I wanted some proper directional flow in my tree lights. However now that it comes down to timing a sequence, I em left overwhelmed and at the same time unimpressed by the effects. The ever so tiny icons makes it hard to tell what the effect entails, and when I select one there are a number of variables you can adjust that are very insufficiently labeled.

Frankly I am trying to replicate the cheap 12 function Chinese controllers sold with strands of christmas lights and you need to be a programming engineer (Which I am, to a certain level) in order to replicate them using better equipment. I could give vixin a try but I figure I would try posting here seeing if maybe there is some software (either for RasPi or can generate a sequence file for fpp) that will get me the single strange animations I am looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trying to keep it simple, but the sequencing software is not friendly

For simple effects, you might find an Arduino to be more practical. Somewhere out there is a code that cycles through different routines, switching with a button press. I suppose the pi or pi-zero could be used to sync several modules to the same color cycle. This could also be achieved with one of those nRF modules.
    The pixelstick firmware can do some nice things also. One of the latest (stable) BETA releases allows you to setup a test routine after a pre-defined time limit of no activity.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trying to keep it simple, but the sequencing software is not friendly

If you find xLights to be unintuitive, you could try Vixen. They both accomplish the same thing in the end, but the workflow and UI is considerably different. Some people prefer one, others prefer the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trying to keep it simple, but the sequencing software is not friendly

It sounds like the model you are trying to create ("lights circling a tree in rings") is a basic single-stranded spiral tree (in xLights). I imagine that would be a nightmare if you tried to create that by drawing multiple lines.

Create a TREE model, TYPE=ROUND, #STRINGS=1 (as you have just one strand wrapped around), SPIRAL WRAPS=[number of times the string wraps around your tree)--and play with the other settings as appropriate.

For a single-stranded spiral tree, your most useful EFFECT is going to be SINGLE STRAND, and playing with the parameters in there.
    Last edited by Bwinter; 11-25-2019 at 02:47 AM.