Thread: 14" 3d printed tree topper

Post Thanks / Like

Default 14" 3d printed tree topper

HI,
    I created a new version of the pixel tree topper on the 3d printer. It's out on tinkercad if you are interested. (https://www.tinkercad.com/embed/5i53KZwhons?editbtn=1). I'll upload some pictures later on. To make it, you will have to print the file 4 times and epoxy it together. I'm praying it makes it through the season!
    Cheers!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 14" 3d printed tree topper

Nice design but I would never use this for my topper. My Quick Tree topper from Holiday Coro is a similar design and one piece. It almost snapped last year... Needless to say I replaced it this year with a Stainless Steel topper from Overkill Metal Products. I'm praying for you it makes it through the year too.. I love my printers but this one thing I would never attempt for safety reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

yikes! My small design worked fine last year, time will tell if the epoxy holds. I should know pretty soon today! How many strings do you have on yours?
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

48 strings of 110 nodes. I've heard similar issues with much smaller trees though.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! You were right. It made it a few days (week or so) and split. I had the small single print version as a backup. It's working fine. Back to the drawing board or to the shop you mentioned.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a 1/4 inch thick steel disc with a 14 inch radius from eBay for $30ish and drilled my own holes. I don’t see many people taking this approach and I’m confused why not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jValue View Post
    Ha! You were right. It made it a few days (week or so) and split. I had the small single print version as a backup. It's working fine. Back to the drawing board or to the shop you mentioned.
    Jim
    Sorry this happened to you but I cant say I'm surprised... My 1/4" Stainless Steel topper is the least of my worries. Its not going split

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muchuckwagon View Post
    I purchased a 1/4 inch thick steel disc with a 14 inch radius from eBay for $30ish and drilled my own holes. I don’t see many people taking this approach and I’m confused why not.
    I did this approach, but had it lasered out along with a 270 pixel megatree star, all for $200. Super strong as my topper is winched up and ring bungied to ground. If I want to increase tension on the strings, add another click on the winch. Topper will never bend.

Post Thanks / Like

My tree is small compared to yours (24 strings of 50), so I reverted to last years 3d print. For next year, i will be looking at metal. The diverse ideas that come from folks like you are always appreciated!
    Thanks!