Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big issue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big issue

Okay, so I got my lights up and a few days ago I tested every prop. They worked like a charm. So, tonight I decided to run a FPP test of the whole show. CRASH! It didn't go so well. Every single prop was flickering and it appeared the channel count was off. So I doubled checked everything. All is well with universes and channel count. So, I ran a test from the 682 and the props worked. Really? That tells me the controller is working properly. So I set the master and remote BBB to bridge mode and sent one prop to display from Vixen (current version). It flickered. Also, on the controller web page it says Packet Count 44,858, sequence errors 37,416. So pretty much every packet is failing. Every prop I tested flickered. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Apparently the files I export for FPP out of Vixen have this issue within the files. Here's a short vid of the flickering.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Big issue

I might want to add that I tried outputting from Vixen on 2 different computers and got the same results. It's almost like a network issue but the props display correctly when testing from the controller web page. No flickering at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I've narrowed it down to FPP. If I shut down both the Master and remote Vixen outputs with no issues. My testing that went good was about a week ago and since then there have been 2-3 updates to FPP. I'll have to re-image an earlier version of FPP and see if that solves the problem. One thing I noticed was the remote was receiving data from a network address that was the computer I was working on even though I wasn't sending anything. I mentioned this in another post that Jon commented on. The master wasn't showing it was receiving data which is correct. The data the remote was receiving was from Vixen when I launched it. I know, its confusing but right now I need to re-image a SD with an earlier version of FPP since it worked correctly about a week ago. Will keep you updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance you had Vixen running at the same time you were testing with FPP? Vixen outputs all the time if the controllers are enabled in the Display Setup and if both are trying to output, that can create that flickering you see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    Any chance you had Vixen running at the same time you were testing with FPP? Vixen outputs all the time if the controllers are enabled in the Display Setup and if both are trying to output, that can create that flickering you see.
    Nope. I made sure Vixen was closed on both computers. I also made sure output to controllers was turned off. I'm going to re-image back to FPP 3.5 and see if that works. As I stated in another post it's wierd that the remote is getting data from my computer. When I launch Vixen the remote, set in bridge mode, is getting data from 192.168.1.215 but the master, in bridge mode, isn't. That address is the computer I'm working on. I'm thinking that's an issue but not sure how to address it. I even shut down that computer when running the sequence in FPP and the problem was still there. A week ago I didn't have this problem. It seems to have surfaced after the last 2 FPP updates. Possibly a corrupt update, I don't know. I have a week to figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like

It certainly looks like a dual source issue to me. You can use Vixen while FPP is running, you just have to make sure that the controllers are off in Vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bretheron View Post
    It certainly looks like a dual source issue to me. You can use Vixen while FPP is running, you just have to make sure that the controllers are off in Vixen
    They are off in Vixen. Driving me nuts. I think it's the current releases of FPP. A week ago everything worked fine. I'm going back to 3.5 or maybe even earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

FPP will also give you a bit of grief if you do not have all the controllers that are programmed into it connected (i think it gives you a warning now though). Have you just tried the FPP in test mode?

Last year I turned on one of the controllers in vixen to test and forgot to turn it back off. That is 3 hours of my life i will never get back trying to work that out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bretheron View Post
    FPP will also give you a bit of grief if you do not have all the controllers that are programmed into it connected (i think it gives you a warning now though). Have you just tried the FPP in test mode?

Last year I turned on one of the controllers in vixen to test and forgot to turn it back off. That is 3 hours of my life i will never get back trying to work that out.
    Yup, it gives you a warning if a controller is offline. What's really getting to me is that warning in the remote that 192.168.1.215 may be an issue. It's puzzling me. I only see that warning on the remote and not the master. It's the computer address. I keep wondering if Vixen is seeing that and writing the info it's sending into the files I generate. Turning off the output to controllers while exporting the files doesn't change anything. The only other possible problem could be the BBB. Last few years I used Pi's and had flickering on my panel. Using the BBB the flickering went away so I decided to use a BBB also for my master. If going back to FPP doesn't work then I'll have to go back to a Pi for my master and if that doesn't work try a Pi on the panel. I'm pretty much running out of options. Thanksgiving night isn't far off. At least I can run the show from the computer if all else fails. Don't really want to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Vixen doesn't see anything from the FPP. Neither by receiving any show data, nor by reading it's config. Vixen only sends out data, it doesn't take anything in. (at least not in this sense) Vixen doesn't write any information about itself into the FSEQ files. There's no IP information in them.

Is there any chance you have a duplicate IP on the network? Is the 215 address assigned static or DHCP? Try to turn off the computer you know to be 215 and ping that IP from the remote FPP. You'd need to use the local console, or SSH into it to do that. once you're at the FPP's prompt, type "ping 192.168.1.215" it'll send repeating pings and if it gets a response, you'll get a time at the end of the line. press ctrl-c to stop pinging. If you get a response while the vixen machine is offline, that means you have an IP conflict.

What's the IP of the remote, and the master. For that matter, what are the IPs of everything else on the show network?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast