Thread: Arduino or Pi? Need standalone with audio output for a cubicle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arduino or Pi? Need standalone with audio output for a cubicle

Ok, so I have the whole computer -> wireless -> renard/FPP/Pixelstick stuff down for the most part. Now my wife wants to setup a small show (100px) in her cubicle but cannot have a laptop/wireless/etc. setup. When reading about the pi, I have only seen where it can drive the pixels but not output sound since they use the same pwm pins. Maybe I am reading it all wrong.

I want to use either an Arduino (Of which I have anywhere from a teensy to a mega) or a pi (of which I have a couple of beaglebones). It would be easier if I could use something like a PiHat and by doing so I can also have the audio output, but I have not read anywhere that says I can do that. I am using Vixen for the sequencing so in theory I should be able to export that into FPP as long as it can also do the audio.

Thoughts, suggestions, shopping list, confessions.... all are welcome!
    "For those who say it cannot be done..... Get out of the way of those that are doing it!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arduino or Pi? Need standalone with audio output for a cubicle

Iím pretty sure that the usb audio still works when outputting pixels from a Pi (itís just the phono-audio output that you canít use).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arduino or Pi? Need standalone with audio output for a cubicle

I would love to see a picture of the end result.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arduino or Pi? Need standalone with audio output for a cubicle

PI + FPP + PiHat + USB Sound Device (dongle) will do what you are looking for.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q