Thread: Leaping arches-how to bend hdpe 2 inche pipe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leaping arches-how to bend hdpe 2 inche pipe

I am building 4 leaping arches. I have 2 inch hdpe pipping. Usually I would bend the pipe manually and force it into shape until last year the pipe dented. Without having to make a jig what is some ways to bend the pipe without denting the pipe? I bought the lengths precut from mcmaster car 10 foot lengths.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Leaping arches-how to bend hdpe 2 inche pipe

Mine are 9' lengths. And the arches are 7' across. It bent just fine by pulling it into place. Are you trying to make too small an arch across that it's kinking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

put sand in it and then heat it up.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it to be really hard to unkink plastic pipe. but I had a couple of ideas pop into my head.
    Get some heat shrink and reinforce the kink with a few layers.
    create a "cast" of some kind maybe with a spring. make it intentional by putting them on all and decorating the arch by hanging something iff the arch (a giant ornament).
    Or for that matter, just decorate over it.
    Or making spokes to hold the shape. Then you can add a fan to the arch.
    make a template and reform wiyh very careful use of heat?
    Or how about drilling through the kink and adding a perment clamp in the form of some washers and nuts on a 2.25 bolt.

I can find flaws with all these ideas except making a fan support. That might actually work...
    Good luck. post your solution and the result.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, i will take some pics. I got 2- 3/8 fence brackets and 3/4 -5 foot conduit. I beat the conduit end flat on both ends, drilled a 1/4 hole and wrapped the fence bracket around my hdpe pipe. I then was able to bend the pipe and secure it together with bolts. I was worried it would kink but the last time It kinked I guess i was bending it to much. I love the way it looks as I can store it and reuse it every year.

Post Thanks / Like

I did mine the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You can try an application of heat to the location to remove a kink.
    NOT sure if it would discolor the tubing or not making it a bigger splotch with light behind it.
    The easiest way to form the pipe is via nature. I lay mine on the driveway and let everything warm up a bit, now the bend is pretty gradual and have not had to much issue with them conforming to the bases.
    To help this along you could put a rope with two loops on it and use a second piece of rope to go through both loops meeting back in the middle. The second rope is pulled tighter pulling the ends of the pipe together. The plan is to not rope burn the HDPE. As the pipe gets more pliable you can pull it more getting it closer to the dimensions you desire. Yes it will spring back, if this still is not easy enough, you get the distances you need and then lay it on the grass or ground and drive several stakes inside and outside loop top center and near ends to hold it in place while you remove the ropes and pull your pixels through and attach the bases. Be mindful that the pipe will try and climb over the stakes if it still has a lot of tension so some rope tying the stakes together over the pipe will help. You could also drive the stakes at an angle trapping the HDPE but not tight to the ground as you still need some gap for your bases to be attached.

Post Thanks / Like

i heated up sand to 450 degrees on a propane camp stove and an old pan. Used a metal funnel to fill the PVC and bent the pipe while hot in a piece of plywood with screws in it to use as a guide. Worked fairly well. i did this with 1/2 inc PVC. Just dont move it until the sand has had a chance to fully cool. Not sure if the same technique will work for 2 in.