Thread: Issues controlling chinese SSR alongside random-fire SSRs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Issues controlling chinese SSR alongside random-fire SSRs

Ok so am currently using ZParticle's dimming sketch (V2) and it works flawlessly for the SSRs. However I want to add a few extra on-off only channels with some cheap "Fotek" SSRs but the current code doesn't seem to be triggering the relay.
    I assume it is related to the dimming code as it works fine when I run the blink sketch on that pin.

Any help resolving this would be great! Because these crazy interrupts etc are beyond me.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Issues controlling chinese SSR alongside random-fire SSRs

which SSR are you using for your flawlessly working channels? Link please.
    which Fotek SSR do you want to add? link please.
    Are you wanting to add more than 32 channels?
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

the Fotek SSRs may need 12v to trigger. Are you using 5v ??
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    the Fotek SSRs may need 12v to trigger. Are you using 5v ??
    The Fotek SSRs are rated 3-32V and I purchased them a few years back for another project. I found them here.

The other SSRs are custom build boards with MOC3021 Optocouplers and BTA-06 Triacs.

Post Thanks / Like

Only 16 Channels by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, those SSR’s are zero cross switching only. They will only switch on as the mains voltage crosses the zero point if the sketch has any delay between the zero cross point and the output voltage going high they won’t switch on. I’m not that familiar with the sketch but I’m sure it turns all outputs off just before the zero cross point and them enables them again afterwards.

Possible solutions:

Use an output with ‘digital write’ if possible.

Add a small capacitor across the SSR input to ensure the voltage is maintained during the ‘off period’ around the zero cross point. They really would only need to be low values or you risk delaying them turning off when you want them to turn off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, those SSR’s are zero cross switching only. They will only switch on as the mains voltage crosses the zero point if the sketch has any delay between the zero cross point and the output voltage going high they won’t switch on. I’m not that familiar with the sketch but I’m sure it turns all outputs off just before the zero cross point and them enables them again afterwards.

Possible solutions:

Use an output with ‘digital write’ if possible.

Add a small capacitor across the SSR input to ensure the voltage is maintained during the ‘off period’ around the zero cross point. They really would only need to be low values or you risk delaying them turning off when you want them to turn off.
    Ah, exactly what I assumed! Makes sense now.

Post Thanks / Like

The capacitor seems to have worked. At first it Did not work until I remembered I had disabled the unused channels in vixen I realized when it worked one pin but not the other.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, cool. What value are you using? It might be prudent to do a test on one output to ensure the current draw of charging and discharging the additional capacitor doesn’t damage the output. In an ideal world there would be a series resistor to limit current but you don’t have much voltage overhead for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    The capacitor seems to have worked. At first it Did not work until I remembered I had disabled the unused channels in vixen I realized when it worked one pin but not the other.

Thanks!
    Did you have the channels disabled in your previous tries?

I have used ZParticle's sketch and variations to run up to 48 channels.
    Kevin