Thread: Issues with ESP8266 and Logic Level Shifter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Issues with ESP8266 and Logic Level Shifter

This is my first year putting up lights on my home and I am in the testing phase. I am having a problem where when i plug my ESP8266 D4 pin into a logic shifter the ESP 8266 blue power light goes off. the same pin works if i plug it in via short jumper cable to the the ws2812b strip. I am powering the 5v+ and GND from a power distribution block connected to my 5v power supply. the 3v+ and GND side is plugged to the ESP8266 3v+ and GND pins. and the 5v+ and GND pin of the ESP8266 is connected to the same power distribution block on my 5v power supply. any help would be much appreciated thanks .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Issues with ESP8266 and Logic Level Shifter

Check the orientation of your level-shifter. I have put a few in backwards....

Also try to put in a pull-up resistor. The original schematic calls for 10k.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcasterline View Post
    Check the orientation of your level-shifter. I have put a few in backwards....

Also try to put in a pull-up resistor. The original schematic calls for 10k.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Thank you jcasterline I will double check my Orientation. i also will check and see if I have a problem with having a "common ground"

Post Thanks / Like

So it looks like it was an issue with the 5v ground feed to the logic level shifter. Turns out it needs to be the same as the light strip, or so I think. I originally had the the 5v and the GND going to a power distribution bar connected to a power supply. and lights were plugged into a F8 power distribution board that was then plugged into the same power supply. I have some 10k resistors on order as it works now but i have some flickering

Now all I need to do is figure out how to make this clean. I want to use a 60AMP 5v power supply 4 ESP8266's going to 4 zones. I would like to use a single 4 channel logic level shifter. my plan was to run the 4 controllers data through 1 Logic shifter. Then Run power injection from a f8 Power distribution board to the each zone. and power each controller through a power distribution block. Christmas Lights Setup.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have said this a few times, but here it is again: Data plus V- must travel together at all times and in all circumstances. You must always have a contiguous path for data and V-.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help. Again I am new to this and the electrical world, soldering so a little bit of a learning curve.

Post Thanks / Like

No Worries. This is a hard learned lesson that keeps getting missed. I have gotten used to repeating the message in many forms.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, it looks like you are intending to put four ESP8266’s in close proximity. It might be prudent to check that they will work as expected, I’ve had issues when trying to run three at the same time within a couple of feet of each other. It may well work fine but your better of knowing now one way or the other.