Thread: Tying the grounds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tying the grounds

I have a question about tying the grounds to complete the circuit. I have 3 server power supplies in a box for most of my elements. Currently I have a ground from each terminal block tied together and then a single ground going to the main controller box to complete the circuit. During show testing, I noticed one of the elements looked like it was experiencing a voltage drop.

Is my current configuration okay or do I need to run 3 separate grounds back to the main controller?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tying the grounds

Maybe a heavier guage wire as the Ground.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Assume you are not grounding them, so these are actually V- or the negative wire. Yes, you can combine three V- to 0ne, provided you size it for the current it needs to carry and voltage drop. Example if PS V- wires are #20, the single wire needs to be #16 or larger, then adjust for voltage drop.

If you have only one element with issues, I suspect the real problem is power to that element, not the 3 V- to 1
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both of you. I'm also highly suspicious of the power going to the element that is dropping power. I'm currently rewiring the box so it's clearer what leads are going to which blocks. My V- going back probably isn't big enough gauge. Everything is wired 16 but I will run a 12 back just to eliminate that as a possible source of a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Update

After rewiring the box everything works fine so it sure looked like a power issue.