Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping out a community member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Helping out a community member

This isn't for me, but I've been trying to help out one of our members with some setup. I'm giving him stuff to check and troubleshoot, but because this involves Renard and vixen and FPP, I'm going to post his question on the chance that someone here has a more direct answer route as I don't spend any time with FPP on Renard. My Renard runs right from vixen show scheduler

Default Re: Help
    I have no intentions of leaving it alone now. Iíve got sound on the Pi so I know Iíve got something right in the playlist. I wrote a very basic FSEQ file to test all of the outputs but no light. Curious now what Iím missing. I setup the PIC with the files from Renards site. Iím using an adapter for USB to serial then to the RJ45 port on the TR16. I set the DNS as static to 192.168.3.213.

In FPP I setup Other on the Output setup and selected Renard. No good.

Tried to do a straight Ethernet from the Pi to the Renard with E1.31 selected. No good. Didnít think that would work though.

Do I need to address the Renard?

I know thereís an easy answer but I am feeling dumber every time I touch this thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Helping out a community member

Renard is not an ethernet device. It's a serial device. You mention setting the DNS, the DNS on what? DNS has nothing to do with Renard.

Renards aren't addressed. (not usually at least) They use the first x number of channels in the data stream and passes on the remainder to the next board in the chain. (much like a pixel) Your problem is likely related to either com port settings, or wiring. Most renard boards have a data light that flickers when it's receiving data. If it's flickering, it means you're wired right and it's getting data. But it doesn't mean that the data is correctly formatted. If it's flickering but still not working, your com port settings are probably off, the baud/start/stop/parity all needs to match the settings in the file you uploaded to the PIC.

Post Thanks / Like

You do want the "other" on the Pi. And you want renard (if the PIC was flashed with Renard firmware). Then be sure the "port" matches where you plugged in the USB to serial dongle. And like Jon said, make sure the other parameters are setup correctly. On the Pi make sure you do Save and a good idea to restart the daemon. If it still isn't working, restart the whole Pi (with the dongle plugged in) as Linux - like windows - sometimes just need to start over. What version of FPP is loaded?

Also in the renard setup, be sure the channels are selected correctly. Remember that the output channels are not the renard channels but the channels where the Renard was setup in the fseq. If this is the only controller than it probably does start at 1, but if it is anything else, you have to know where it was defined in the sequencer.

Post Thanks / Like

On a less technical note, it's very possible there's an adapter or driver issue. I can't count the times I've had to reinstall the driver to find one that works properly. Note, it CAN say that it's installed fine, but not work. Not that you should just assume that route, but once you've eliminated other variables like above. I would maybe recommend having a look through the Renard diagnostic guide. It pretty much gives you a flowchart (is this working? If yes go to etc.....) just google Renard troubleshooting
    Last edited by XmasinVancouver; 11-17-2019 at 05:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you verified the baudrate and stop bits (just set them to 2 it is a safe setting). Is the FE light on the renard coming on? Is the RX light coming on?

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

WOW. Thanks X. I didnít get the notification that you responded. Iíll be home shortly and will take pictures of what I have.

I understood the Renard was not inherently an Ethernet device but tried it because I could think of anything else. Itís my understanding Iím to use a USB to serial adapter then go to the RJ45 jack on the Renard. Is that accurate?

My adapter has all light TX and RX lit when plugged into the Pi.

Iím running the most up to date FPP and the Renard PIC was programmed from the Renard site earlier this year.

I feel like Iím missing something on the addressing to the Renard.

I really appreciate the help from everyone. Just to let you guys know, I really am trying on my own. Iíve been running a laptop and a PC with dual monitors while watching videos on my phone trying to read all the instructions for every piece of this to see what Iím missing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hereís my setup and the basic sequence. I do have the FSEQ file transferred and the audio file plays. So I know Iím close.

Post Thanks / Like

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went back all the way to assembly instructions on the renard board and looked closer. I FORGOT to put the jumpers on the JP1/JP2/JP3. I think it's actually working now. I have flashing lights. Now to wire up the cord ends and grab 16 strings of lights to watch the whole thing play to make sure I don't have any loading issues. Ya'll are amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Coolio. I remember my first time...ahh, the blinky, the flashy, lights shooting around my head.

Post Thanks / Like

Update. Box is wired up and ready for the show.

Any ideas on how to account for time delay on the lights? Seems my lights are a half second behind where I programmed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast