Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel errors ?

Thank you, I will give it a try

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrDudeMan View Post
    assuming u have 3 supplies
    connect 2 supplies together with GND/(aka -5V not Earth)
    use a thick wire that can carry at least 30A

first tree:
    connect 66% of your pixels to PS1 +5v
    connect 33% of your pixels to PS2 +5v

2nd tree:
    connect 33% pixels to PS2 +5v
    connect 66% pixels to PS3 +5v

if that dont work you might have a short or a bad pixel pulling too much current
    This statement is misleading. It should read:
    There is no need to connect the V- at the PSUs.

first tree:
    connect 66% of your pixels to PS1 +5v and -5v
    connect 33% of your pixels to PS2 +5v and -5v

2nd tree:
    connect 33% pixels to PS2 +5v and -5v
    connect 66% pixels to PS3 +5v and -5v

The wires coming from the PSUs must always be running as pairs with BOTH V+ and V-.

Martins additional comments:
    • Why don't I need to connect the V- at the PSUs? It serves no purpose and does no harm.
    • Then how do the strings get in synch? You run data and V- between the strings. This connection is independent of the power injection points.
    • Do I HAVE to run V- between the strings if I tie the V- together at the PSU? That depends. The lights might work depending on the length of the wire to the PSU and how thick that wire is and the load on the wire.
      • My suggestion is: It is mandatory to run data and V- together. This eliminates the uncertainty caused by voltage drop on the wires coming from the PSUs.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

You guys made my day! Issue is almost solved!

If was of course a wiring issue. I needed to extend the wire for my globe on top of the tree, and of course I only extended the data wire (not V-).
    I connected both strings with V- and it works properly.

Right now, the pixel issues moved to the very last string on the globe. What do I need to do with the data and V- coming from this last string?

Also the very misleading point is that the left tree which has absolutely the same components and is configured the same way, this always worked without any issues. How can this be?

Again, many thanks for pointing me into the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

how are you sending data to these? Serial Method? what happens if you create a octows2811 color effect to all pixels do you get the same issue? I have had great experience controlling up to 5440 RGB LED's with really good results. Most of my issues are due to connections, bad grounding and channel mapping issues.

crees

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    You guys made my day! Issue is almost solved!

If was of course a wiring issue. I needed to extend the wire for my globe on top of the tree, and of course I only extended the data wire (not V-).
    I connected both strings with V- and it works properly.

Right now, the pixel issues moved to the very last string on the globe. What do I need to do with the data and V- coming from this last string?

Also the very misleading point is that the left tree which has absolutely the same components and is configured the same way, this always worked without any issues. How can this be?

Again, many thanks for pointing me into the right direction.
    Ment to get back on this post. Your working tree works by accident. Your V- through the PSUs was just good enough to make things work. Your other tree had some minor differences. The power wires went past an AC wire, the screws were not as tight on the connectors, the end of a wire had a bit of corrosion, you sneezed when you made one of the connections, etc. The point is that the reliable way is to ensure data and V- always travel together. Counting on tieing V- together at the PSU opens you up to the vagaries of real world degradations.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

MartinMueller is right. This entire thing is working by accident. Day after sending my ‚solved‘ post I recognized the issue is still there.

But I gave up for this year. I made an compromise using my ‚workaround‘ by removing 2 strings from PS and changing colors. Now the issues are still there bit not that intensive.

Next year I gonna solder all the pixel wires and check my data / V- again.

This year I gonna do very last think and check what crees wrote. If Octo Test also causing the same issues.

Again, thanks a lot for your input. Guess all newbies need to go through that process of learning ;)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by Humbug; 12-04-2019 at 02:55 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123