Thread: Questions for house outline on how to do runs. (Pic Included)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions for house outline on how to do runs. (Pic Included)

I'm using a raspberry pi and falcon pi hat. I'm trying to figure out where to start the runs since I need to keep it to 2 total runs.

The red boxes are the soffit power outlets. I expect to put the pi and power by the box above the main door. I'm planning to just do the front face of the house rather than down the side of the roof line.
    wGhQg2Hl.jpg

I'm thinking that I start at B3 and go right to left then go up to the A2 and go left to right to A6. This is about 360 nodes I believe.

For the second I'm thinking I do C2 then over to C3 to C6. This is about 400 lights I think. The issue here is its not close to the pi which I think is an issue since I believe the first node needs to be very close to the pi output. I'm not sure how to get around this.

Does this seem like a good approach? I know I need to power inject and have that sorted out already I think. I've got 16/2 for power injection and 16/3 wire to make "extension cords" for the transitions where I don't want any lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions for house outline on how to do runs. (Pic Included)

When I went from ground level to 2nd story my wire was about 15ft long. I had to stick a single pixel in the middle of the wire to the data could travel to 2nd story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nnnnnate View Post
    I'm using a raspberry pi and falcon pi hat. I'm trying to figure out where to start the runs since I need to keep it to 2 total runs.

For the second I'm thinking I do C2 then over to C3 to C6. This is about 400 lights I think. The issue here is its not close to the pi which I think is an issue since I believe the first node needs to be very close to the pi output. I'm not sure how to get around this.
    If you are using a PiHat (and not controlling straight off the GPIO from the Pi), then the first node does NOT "need to be close to the Pi." Exactly what that distance is, though, depends on several factors--but I would say 10' is reasonable (although I think it can go much further).

I would be cautious, though, about how far your gaps are *between* strands. Those will need to be closer, than between a PiHat and 1st node. An easily solution for all this, is to use a u-Amp, f-Amp (or such) to drive data over those "longer" distances.
    Last edited by Bwinter; 11-14-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by northernwarrior View Post
    When I went from ground level to 2nd story my wire was about 15ft long. I had to stick a single pixel in the middle of the wire to the data could travel to 2nd story.
    Is that single pixel what I've read to be a "null pixel"? Is its only purpose to amplify the data signal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    If you are using a PiHat (and not controlling straight off the GPIO from the Pi), then the first node does NOT "need to be close to the Pi." Exactly what that distance is, though, depends on several factors--but I would say 10' is reasonable (although I think it can go much further).

I would be cautious, though, about how far your gaps are *between* strands. Those will need to be closer, than between a PiHat and 1st node. An easily solution for all this, is to use a u-Amp, f-Amp (or such) to drive data over those "longer" distances.
    I've seen the f-Amp but didn't know thats what it was for, I guess its the same idea as a null pixel? Do you know where I could get either a u-amp or an f-amp in the next couple days? When I ordered my pihat in september it took forever to ship and I'm really hoping to get these lights up on the house this weekend. (Weather is supposed to turn on Tuesday....) Checking google for u-amp didn't return any relevant results and the f-amp only came back to the falcon website that was so slow. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Falcon Christmas sells the F-amp:

https://www.pixelcontroller.com/stor...roller=product

There are uAmp group-buys, from RobG. Search these forums.

The advantage of using these (f/u-amp) is that you do NOT need to account for them in your sequence/software, as you would need to using just a single pixel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I found the RobG page and submitted an order. I don't really expect it to get here quickly but if nothing else I'll have them on hand for next time.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the RobG pixel drivers to increase distance between a data source and a pixel. One comment made in this thread is "Amplify the signal". The data signal is a digital signal. It gets "Regenerated" by every pixel. This is why adding a "null pixel" works. A null pixel takes your degrading digital signal and regenerates it to full strength, but, it also consume 24 bits of data. The pixel driver from RobG does the same thing but does not consume 24 bits of data making it invisible in your patching. Simply amplifying the signal will increase noise by amplifying the noise along with the data signal.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.