Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi 4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raspberry Pi 4

Does the Picap work with the Raspberry Pi 4? It's not listed as supported but didn't know if the website just had not updated yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Raspberry Pi 4

It should: From a PI4 tech review
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Raspberry Pi 4 is compatible with earlier Raspberry Pi's hardware add-ons

As with earlier boards, there's a 40-pin expansion header for connecting to boards, sensors and other hardware, with the same pin layout as earlier boards.
    The only difficulty might arise from the slightly different layout of the board, although the profile is similar to earlier boards.
    The Raspberry Pi 4's GPIO header also supports more connections, with UART, SPI, and I2C interfaces each supported on four additional pins, and with fixed support for clock stretching over I2C interfaces.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I have struggled tonight to try to find the answer if FPP is compatible with a Pi 4. I didn't find the answer in the manual or falconchristmas forum.
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cmschleich View Post
    I have struggled tonight to try to find the answer if FPP is compatible with a Pi 4. I didn't find the answer in the manual or falconchristmas forum.
    Found it on the GitHub version of the manual. FPP supports the 4, pg2.
    https://falconchristmas.github.io/FPP_Manual.pdf
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ

Post Thanks / Like

Found it on the GitHub version of the manual. FPP supports the 4, pg2.
    https://falconchristmas.github.io/FPP_Manual.pdf

As someone who is planning on transitioning from running on the pc, to some form of raspi/pocket pc with FPP after this season is done, I'm very curious about the hardware. I haven't decided specifically to go with a pi or another pocket pc yet pending research, but I'm curious about the most typically used hardware setup for members in our community? Specifically, for people using these or multiples to run our light shows, is everyone pretty much using a hat/cap to transition from the pi to the pixel strings? I'm assuming that is mostly a yes, but which products or diy built solutions are considered the most standard, popular/highly regarded for our use? I've heard about a falcon pi cap I think, but I would assume there are many good ones for this purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is a Pi cap is for small and/or remote elements, or test benching.

I use a Pi 3 with FPP to 3 Falcon F16s. FPP on a Pi runs circles around any PC in terms of animation refresh rate. The Pi is fairly powerful and has nothing else to run beside FPP, anything running Windows isn’t going to play as fast. Complex/rapid animations (I have countless of those) won’t render completely at the sequence software 25ms setting when using my PC. FPP on Pi eats them for breakfast. Since I don’t use a Pi cap (yet), my Pi/FPP setup is very simple. I think one F16v3 is a hell of a bargain even if you aren’t up to that size. Very convenient to use and configure, it may even open new ideas.

On top of that FPP has been a rock for me.

Here’s a brief example, many of these effects would not play this smoothly off a PC. For my style it matters. Plus I can put that Pi almost anywhere with ease.
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ

Post Thanks / Like

My show uses three FPPs in a master remote configuration. Each FPP has a four port hub in the box with it. Since I use unicast, this results in localizing data traffic and keeps the network in general open for the sync packets. I have four F16s in the show and one spare in case something goes wrong. The remote FPPs provide local data to an F16 and a few serial interfaces to drive renard devices. NONE of them have a pixel PiHat. The Master FPP has an audio DAC hat that drives the FM transmitter. In the workshop there are two FPPs with PiHats for testing lights. The PiHat capacity (two ports) is too low for most areas of my show.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Saw you found it it is also located in a pinned thread on the falcon FPP forum.

From the manual

The current versionof Falcon Player will run on the following hardware:
    Raspberry Pi2 Model B
    Raspberry Pi3 Model B
    Raspberry Pi3 Model B+
    Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+
    Raspberry Pi 4 Model B
    Raspberry PiZero-W
    Raspberry PiZero
    BeagleBone Black (Rev C)
    BeagleBone Black Wireless
    BeagleBone Green
    BeagleBone Green Wireless(not recommended if using any capes)PocketBeagle
    Last edited by K-State Fan; 12-03-2019 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Should have read all the post before posting

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Pi3 running my show, a Zero, and a Pi2 in bridge mode. I haven't bought any hats to go with mine, but I use a simple level-shifter to step up the data going to pixels. My Pi2 is also driving a few SSRs from the GPIO.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it does work with 4.. bought the 4gb version and the falcon pi hat to start out with just a small roofline and garage outline this year and working well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast