Thread: What setting am I missing with my pixels in Vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default What setting am I missing with my pixels in Vixen

Hello friends, I am setting up pixels for the first time (all AC on Renards last year) and attempting to add them to my previous show. I am only setting up the preview now (not connected to a controller in the Display Setup yet). They are all just simple lines, a couple of roof peaks and vertical lines next to 5 windows. I wanted to start sequencing and the pixels all work, but each line is only one color at a time. In other words, when I apply a pinwheel effect, instead of all the cool colors rotating around my lights, each line assumes a color and just stays static. Forgive my ignorance - I have searched the forums, the vixen blog, videos, but I'm still at a loss as to what setting I'm missing. Any help is greatly appreciated as I know y'all are busy with your own problems right now. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What setting am I missing with my pixels in Vixen

Please post a picture of the pixel config from the main configuration page. Number of patch points for a single string will be important info. Then post a picture of a single pixel string configuration on the preview screen.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, not sure if this is what you want to see (or if this will work), but here goes: Main Config.PNGRoofline String Config.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder... do the pixels have to be patched to the controller before they can be sequenced?

Post Thanks / Like

You do not need to have them connected to the controller for sequencing and or preview.
    I would check your color handling. I f they are pixels it should be set to "They can be any color..." and your total channels will be 3x's the number of pixels. (pixel = 3 channels. RGB)
    color.PNG

Post Thanks / Like

No they don't need to be patched

In the 1st pic it shows 10 groups but only 12 elements for all the RGB lines when I would expect 100s of element which is borne out by the 2nd pic that shows 60 pixels for the left roof line alone so something is not right in your config, did you assign color handling? Kind of seem like you did as your 12 elements have 12 filters and 36 patch points. Can you expand the Roof Left group to where we can see the individual pixels and also the Graphical View

Capture.JPG Capture1.JPG
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Your setup for pixels isn't correct. Using AC lights you are used to setting up elements that are just a single element going to typically one controller output. When you are using pixels not only do you need to specify the exact number of pixels used, you also need to set them up so that each pixel has three patch points for each of the three RGB colors.

In your example above your Roof Left group is just a single element not a grouping of elements (1 element for each pixel)

To make this setup work properly you need to create it properly in Display Setup:

Open display setup and select Generic Numbered Group from the Elements section.
    Click the green plus sign next to it.
    Edit the Group Name and Item Prefix to your preference. (Naming doesn't really matter)
    Select the correct number of pixels for Item Count.
    Click Ok
    Click No on the next box that asks about adding a Dimming Curve (You can add one but it's beyond the scope of this simple setup)
    On the Color Configuration form select the bottom option (if not already selected) and the correct color order for your pixels (Usually RGB)

These steps will add a grouping to your display that contains the specified number of pixels. Each pixel will have three outputs.

If you need to get the newly created group into another group you can drag and drop it to get it where you want it.

This walk through was done in the newest Vixen version and may be slightly different depending on the version you are running.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for that StickyWicket, my elements look much better now.

If I need to change the number of pixels in an element do I have to delete that element and recreate it or is there a way to edit it in Display Setup?

Also, how do you create a group? Would that be considered a Single Item and then elements dropped into it (in my case an example would be my two roof peaks) or would you set it up as a Generic Group Item with the number of pixels equal to the sum of the pixels in the elements that it is parent to?

Not sure if anything I'm even asking makes sense.

Wondering if this is even possible, because next I have to figure out how to set up my Falcon F48. I'm starting to wonder if y'all are using some kind of magic to make this stuff all work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhawk View Post
    I wonder... do the pixels have to be patched to the controller before they can be sequenced?
    No you do not need to patch the pixels before you sequence them. You do need to patch at least on channel on one controller (aka any channel on a random controller) to allow the software to generate timing for the preview.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 11-14-2019 at 01:42 PM.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q