Thread: Firs year show

Post Thanks / Like

Default Firs year show

Hello everyone, first year show here and this fourm has been awesome. I have figured a lot out just by reading this but I'm still kind of confused on a couple of things. Just seeking a little bit of help. A recent conversation confused me as someone was telling me that on the E682 controller, each of the 16 outputs has 6 universes. This is not correct right? The controller gas 16 out puts that can power 170 pixels for 12 universes total? Or am I wrong. Also can anyone provide a link to solid cable that I can use as an extension to run from my box to a pigtail on the pixels about 20 feet away from the box that is good with snow. Where I live we get snow this time of year and I'm struggling to find good cable to use!

Thank you to anyone who responds!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Firs year show

LOL ... sorry , not meaning to make fun , but , THIS is one reason why I still use Vixen 2.5 , 98 per cent incans , 12 ren 24's , 5 Ren 16's , 1 Ren 8 , 3 Olsen 595's with REN T and REN W's and only have to worry about how many channels...
    Easy peasy.....
    be patient.... right now is CRUNCH TIME ... everyone is out trying to get everything setup and running ..... sometimes they might take a bit to respond , but have no fear .... there will DEFINITELY be someone helping you before you know it.
    Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

K-State gave you a link describing controller capabilities.

The cable, or wire that you use can be pretty much any type as long as you protect it from the elements. Most here would likely recommend Cat5 or 18ga/16ga stranded copper wire. Seal it well. I would suggest adhesive-lined heat shrink and I am personally using the heat-shrink butt splice connectors that are also lined with adhesive for a (hopefully) completely encapsulated connection. However, all I need to deal with in my area of Oregon is rain, not snow. Hopefully one of our clan from the North will chime in for suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

jackfrost2 do you have any videos of your display would love to see some since you're using 98 per cent incans , im not a big fan of all the pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lightupchristmas2019 View Post
    Hello everyone, first year show here and this fourm has been awesome. I have figured a lot out just by reading this but I'm still kind of confused on a couple of things. Just seeking a little bit of help. A recent conversation confused me as someone was telling me that on the E682 controller, each of the 16 outputs has 6 universes. This is not correct right? The controller gas 16 out puts that can power 170 pixels for 12 universes total? Or am I wrong. Also can anyone provide a link to solid cable that I can use as an extension to run from my box to a pigtail on the pixels about 20 feet away from the box that is good with snow. Where I live we get snow this time of year and I'm struggling to find good cable to use!

Thank you to anyone who responds!!
    Congratulations. I'm going to answer a question you didn't ask. My life got dramatically easier when I switched to Falcon controllers. First year I spent 800 hours and started in February, I did all my proof of concept and builds based on an E682. I had many bugs with mine and took a risk and switched controllers in August (kind of last-minute given the scale of what I did year 1 and every single thing being a learning curve). Seriously, the convenience of configuration, reliability, extra features, improved line performance (e.g. more lights, farther distances) was a big time saver for me.

I really like Holiday Coro's 18guage 100ft rolls. I've bought a few spools of that. It's perfect for the job, the colors make it really easy to track, although I can't comment on snow, you could always wrap it in flex loom.
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ

Post Thanks / Like

Thank for the replies. I looked for answers as to what controller was better between the falcon and the e682 and I couldn't find much so I just went for the cheaper one. Plus it has also been a while since I soldered anything so I figured it would be good to get my feet wet again. Thank you for the replies being this late in the season I just plan to outline the roof and maybe do a pixel tree this year and a couple of songs. Mostly I'm just trying to find a decent deal on insulated cable to run so I can make an extension for the pigtails.

Post Thanks / Like

e682 can do 7universes in multicast or 12 in unicast.
    each port can, in theory, do up to 12universes.
    each port can be mixed to do any "continuous" portion of the incoming universes.
    but the more lights assigned to each port / the lower the refresh rate

Post Thanks / Like

The Falcon line does all that and adds virtual strings and flat addressing (easily mix data from any universes). First time I heard the concept I did not understand it but it removes the "continuous" restriction in the previous post. You can select many small groups of channels to push out a given port. It handles many more than 12 universes at full line refresh rates. IMO, worth the extra money.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lightupchristmas2019 View Post
    Thank for the replies. I looked for answers as to what controller was better between the falcon and the e682 and I couldn't find much so I just went for the cheaper one. Plus it has also been a while since I soldered anything so I figured it would be good to get my feet wet again. Thank you for the replies being this late in the season I just plan to outline the roof and maybe do a pixel tree this year and a couple of songs. Mostly I'm just trying to find a decent deal on insulated cable to run so I can make an extension for the pigtails.
    If you add more in the future I couldn’t recommend the Falcons more. That switch alone fixed quite a few flickering problems. It can drive further distances for sure vs the e682 I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    youtu.be/nBL9qYPaXwQ