Thread: Vixen Sequence loaded onto UNO from SD card

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen Sequence loaded onto UNO from SD card

Is there a way to load sequences made in Vixen from an SD card into an Arduino Uno?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen Sequence loaded onto UNO from SD card

This question has been asked many, many, many times. An Arduino just can't. Not by itself. I've used Arduino's as a simple controller. With an adapter, they can be configured for rs485/DMX. A simple shield can give you Ethernet capabilities. There are alot of possibilities, but there is too much overhead involved with storing and running a sequence.
    Even if you somehow managed to get a sequence to run, most Arduino's are not fast enough to handle the burden well.

Consider a Raspberry Pi. The pi zero can be bought relatively cheap.
    I bought a few pi3's recently, they do very well for my needs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I see where it has been talked about before and possibly working, but I have not seen anything definitive. I was hoping I could get it working with small sequences with only a few channels.

Post Thanks / Like

What part of the world are you from? In the US Amazon could get you going with a Pi Zero, almost overnight. Maybe consider the Pixel-sticks also. Don't bother with the esp01, it's easier to get the NodeMCU version. They won't store the show onboard(yet), but can be controlled by WiFi.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There have been attempts to get the Arduino mega and other Arduino devices to read an fseq file (exported from Vixen) and play some lights. First you need to add a card reader to the hardware and then load a software stack to drive the device. Most Arduino devices have issues with the code and ram space needed for this. Even if you could read the files, you need to parse the data (there are libraries for this) and then generate the outputs in a reasonable time frame. Not a lot of the Arduino platforms have the ability to do this and those that do cost almost as much (and sometimes more than) as a PI. Amazon sells a PI Zero for USD $5 (Delivered overnight for prime members).

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I am from this world but looking into making an Arduino a stand-alone controller but not just for Christmas lights. I would like to use Vixen to program from a timeline or music.