Thread: Which type of Wire to use

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which type of Wire to use

This will hopefully be my last question that has to do with material. Which type of wire do you guys recommend for cutting/splicing, power injection, & longer runs to supply power. I was looking at some 3 wire on Amazon but it looks like some of the wire is not very good and some is rated inwall. What do you guys recommend using? I am using DIYLEDEXPRESS PixelBulbs to outline my house (My first year) they say they use 18 AWG wire. I figure I would just use 18AWG to keep the same thickness. Looking for good options. Also if it makes a difference I am using ESPixelSticks for my data.

Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which type of Wire to use

First thing. Make sure whatever you use is 100% copper wire. You will see a lot of CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire out on the market. It is not as efficient at moving power as pure copper.

I use Monoprice speaker wire for my power and data runs. I keep a supply of 2 conductor 18AWG and 4 conductor 16 AWG on hand. I will use the 4 wire to run power and data(3 wire), and also use it to do two Power Injection runs.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which type of Wire to use

^^^^

What he said. This year I bought spools of the LED power wire, in 3-conductor (18ga) and 2-conductor (16ga). They are both 100% copper and can easily be found on Amazon.