Thread: Drum set with one string divided into groups lights up wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drum set with one string divided into groups lights up wrong

Ok, I have no idea if I'm just exhausted and there is something simple I'm missing here. I have a mini drum set prop. It's made of one continuous string of 39 pixels. Physically, run 6 pixels inside the snare drum, which then goes to the bass drum and circles the inside for 14 of the 16 pixels that make it up. This is the only spot that's a bit weird, but needed for wiring due to layout, I circle the bass drum for 14 pixels, then do the 6 from the floor Tom, which then exits and finishes the last two pixels for the bass drum. From there, it goes to the 6 pixels in the top Tom drum, and finishes with 5 on the cymbal. Its setup in vixen as drums-->snare/tom/cymbal etc--> individual pixels. I created a custom prop, and placed the pixels on the preview in the exact order of the string seeing as its one Continuous string. I then assigned the pixels in the exact order of the string in the drum preview. The results in the preview seem to support that everything is perfect. Each drum fully lights only the pixels that comprised it when selected. But now, when I try to actually test it..... The completely wrong pixels light up. If I select the snare with a set level, the top top and 3 pixels from the top of the bass drum light up. Keep in mind that is the second to last object so it's not just reversed. If I set level the bass drum, the snare and floor Tom light up. There's no rhyme or reason! The pixels lighting up are nowhere near each other. I've tried to redo all the patching and assigning, rebuilt the prop, checked and repatched the elements, inspected every connection and pixel to make sure no wires crossed or anything backwards. I'm at a loss!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drum set with one string divided into groups lights up wrong

Unfortunately I use a different sequencer but this sounds like simple segment sequencing .

Single strand of x pixels > break down to segments of n > sequence each segment > success .

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the best thing to do is first determine whether it's the preview or the patching that's wrong. I'm assuming you have the pixels for each individual drum placed into groups for each drum. In the preview setup, click on the prop groups for each individual drum. Make sure they light up pink as you select each group in the element tree. Assuming that's all correct, then it's time to check the patching in display setup. I would go about this checking backwards. On the controller side, go to the first channel for the first pixel on the string. click the find element button below. The appropriate pixel in the correct drum should be selected on the left. Then select that whole drum in the element side and click the find channels button. The channels should start with the first on the string and continue in a contiguous block for the remainder of the nodes. Then click the very next channel on the controller side and click find element. make sure it's the right drum you think it should be. wash rinse repeat until you find the inconsistency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Unfortunately I use a different sequencer but this sounds like simple segment sequencing .

Single strand of x pixels > break down to segments of n > sequence each segment > success .
    Lol. Thanks Angus. But that's why I'm posting....because I've done exactly that with success many many times. And I've troubleshot it when it doesn't work. In this case, I've even gone back to the drawing board, and the result is basically everything works exactly as it should in preview and setup....but the output is way off the mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Sounds like the best thing to do is first determine whether it's the preview or the patching that's wrong. I'm assuming you have the pixels for each individual drum placed into groups for each drum. In the preview setup, click on the prop groups for each individual drum. Make sure they light up pink as you select each group in the element tree. Assuming that's all correct, then it's time to check the patching in display setup. I would go about this checking backwards. On the controller side, go to the first channel for the first pixel on the string. click the find element button below. The appropriate pixel in the correct drum should be selected on the left. Then select that whole drum in the element side and click the find channels button. The channels should start with the first on the string and continue in a contiguous block for the remainder of the nodes. Then click the very next channel on the controller side and click find element. make sure it's the right drum you think it should be. wash rinse repeat until you find the inconsistency.
    Thanks Jon. I have often done some tricky setups with vixen in the past, so this one is frustrating me, because I've done stuff like this for years and it should work. My explanation was perhaps a bit rambly, but to clarify, your assumptions are correct about the setup. And the result, is that exactly and only the correct pixels go pink in the preview when selecting the appropriate drum from the left. Also tested individual pixels from throughout, and all of them are exactly where they should be. I've already kind of done the patch check, but I will start again using your method of working backwards. The controller is setup with the exact universe and channels, no other flags like zig zag or groups etc.... I will update....if I have any hair left from ripping it out

Post Thanks / Like

If the correct pixel go pink in the preview when you select the proper element groups, then I would expect the effects to light properly in the preview as well. If that is the case, then it is likely a patching issue. There is one other bit to check. When you create a custom prop, there is a secondary tab for wire order in the editor. If you don't add all the pixels in the correct wire order, then you may need to adjust the order of them on the order tab by dragging them to the proper wire order. When you import the prop in the preview that wire order is established for patching as well.

You can also do/check that in the Display setup by selecting the entire group and in the properties section below choose the patching order wizard and run the setup. It will put all the elements in a list in the order that they would be patched / wire order. You can drag and drop them to move them to the correct order. Then when you patch, that order will be used when you select the group and do the patch as a whole prop.

Maybe that will help.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, and hopefully it helps someone else who comes accross it. This issue is resolved for me, and it is a cautionary tale of "when you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME"

Appears it WAS patching related, or more specifically, the order in which the parent item was patching the pixels. Although everything was in order, when I patched the drum parent item either by selecting the top parent, or the sub parents, either all at once, or item by item, it showed me the exact amount of channels expected were patched, but the above problems. When I selected the individual pixels as a group in order and patched them with no parents selected, magic! All works as intended. Can't explain the behaviour whatsoever, but it is what it is

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Thanks for the info, and hopefully it helps someone else who comes accross it. This issue is resolved for me, and it is a cautionary tale of "when you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME"

Appears it WAS patching related, or more specifically, the order in which the parent item was patching the pixels. Although everything was in order, when I patched the drum parent item either by selecting the top parent, or the sub parents, either all at once, or item by item, it showed me the exact amount of channels expected were patched, but the above problems. When I selected the individual pixels as a group in order and patched them with no parents selected, magic! All works as intended. Can't explain the behaviour whatsoever, but it is what it is
    I've had issues in the past patching a megatree. Several times when I patched the whole tree the patches were out of order. This happened on other props also. So now if it's a megatree or anything using multiple folders I do 1 at a time. A 16 strand tree I patch each strand one at a time.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk