Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two power supplys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Two power supplys

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    So you're basically saying that we should all use 350W (or small) PSUs for our shows, so as "not to have too much power available to fry the power tracks" on our controllers.
    No, I did not state that....and please stop putting words in my mouth. I'm only giving additional information to consider before making a decision to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    I've never seen that as a warning for any of the controllers, or ever mentioned as a concern elsewhere. I know there are many of us who have a centralized PSU that distributes power to all of our controllers/pixels--and I've never heard of this being a problem (or concern).
    I said "I WOULD" be concerned of a greater potential....I'm sharing my reasons to use smaller PS. My nature is to use power supplies at the element or element group level, not to centralizing it.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    I think daisy chaining the 120V is best practice. Assuming they are in close proximity
    I daisy chain the 120v when I have 2 PSUs and 2 receivers in the same enclosure. I figure this is how house wiring is done and I always stick to 14g wiring for the PSU jumpers to match the 3 prong input gauge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drew999999 View Post
    I daisy chain the 120v when I have 2 PSUs and 2 receivers in the same enclosure. I figure this is how house wiring is done and I always stick to 14g wiring for the PSU jumpers to match the 3 prong input gauge.
    That's assuming the 3 prong supply cable is 14awg, most use old PC or similar cables which may be 16awg but normally are only 18awg.

But yes I agree you need to use a heaver gauge for the connection between PSUs
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Hold up a sec. There is a way to calculate this. Look at the side of the PSU, it should give you a max current rating. Multiply that by the number of PSUs in use and you get the max current the first wire must carry. If you use the same gauge throughout then you are well into a safe zone.

For 300W supplies I use a 3A value in my calculations (3a * 115v = 345W). This means a 16AWG line voltage rated wire can handle 4 PSUs over a reasonable (25') distance. BTW, this is the same calculation you should be doing when determining the load on your power feeds/extension cords.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

As I'm cutting down 120v 14g cables that I have a ton of, its easy to strip the jacket off of a short length to use for the jumpers. Still leaves me about 4-5 feet of input lead to connect to the first PSU. Thanks for the clarification on the common V- fuzziness when injecting from a different PSU than the primary pixel power PSU.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123