Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two power supplys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Two power supplys

Looking at your AC 3-prong connection: wouldn't be better to just have a each PSU on its own 3-prong AC connection? I guess you *could* (?) daisy-chain the AC--but that doesn't seem the best method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    You want to tie the DC -V of the two PSUs together, which since the -V (GND) wire for the string of pixels needs to run the entire length of the sting - they are automatically tied together. You never want to cut -V in a string because the Data is in reference to GND (-V)
    "You want to tie the DC -V of the two PSUs together" Not sure this is a good idea for all applications. I feel this is only true if you are sharing DATA with 2 power supplies. Example: if I have 2 controllers, each with their own power supply, lighting a Mega Tree with 1000 Pixel per controller, then there is no reason to tie the V- together. Even on the same element. let each (controller, PS and pixels) act as its own system.
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 11-12-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    Looking at your AC 3-prong connection: wouldn't be better to just have a each PSU on its own 3-prong AC connection? I guess you *could* (?) daisy-chain the AC--but that doesn't seem the best method.
    I think daisy chaining the 120V is best practice. Assuming they are in close proximity
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    I think daisy chaining the 120V is best practice. Assuming they are in close proximity
    If they're in close proximity, then just get an appropriately-sized PSU so that there is only one to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like

If they're in close proximity, then just get an appropriately-sized PSU so that there is only one to deal with.
    Yes - that works, but that could create more problems. Such as replacing 2 350W power supplies with a new pricy 600W power supply. Price 2-Meanwell @ $33 ea or $66 for 2, vs a 600W for $84 - - $18 more.

I would also be concerned of a greater potential to fry the power track on the controller with twice the amps available. Which will blow first. The Fuse of the Power Track
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - that works, but that could create more problems. Such as replacing 2 350W power supplies with a new pricy 600W power supply. Price 2-Meanwell @ $33 ea or $66 for 2, vs a 600W for $84 - - $18 more.

I would also be concerned of a greater potential to fry the power track on the controller with twice the amps available. Which will blow first. The Fuse of the Power Track
    Funny--I use that same argument against using a single, large controller versus smaller ones.

As far as "frying the power track on the controller"--that's what fuses are for.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned in one of the posts. There really is no reason to tie the V- on the supplies together. It does not get you anything. You DO need to run V- plus DATA together at the pixels. Even if you tie the V- at the PSU you STILL need to run the V- plus DATA at the pixels. Remember you need to run the V- plus the data AT the pixels. Should I say it one more time?

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

…...As far as "frying the power track on the controller"--that's what fuses are for.
    How fast is your fuse.....is it faster than the power track?

Looking at a time current curve for an 20A ATO Automotive fuse, the let thru current at 0.5 seconds is 50A. What is the withstand of the Power Track on the controller board? Can it withstand 50A for 0.5 seconds, or would it be the fuse and pop first?

Bwinter, not saying you fusing isn't correct, I'm just point out some things that are generally overlooked.
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 11-12-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. I will leave the setup as is.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

How fast is your fuse.....is it faster than the power track?

Looking at a time current curve for an 20A ATO Automotive fuse, the let thru current at 0.5 seconds is 50A. What is the withstand of the Power Track on the controller board? Can it withstand 50A for 0.5 seconds, or would it be the fuse and pop first?

Bwinter, not saying you fusing isn't correct, I'm just point out some things that are generally overlooked.
    So you're basically saying that we should all use 350W (or small) PSUs for our shows, so as "not to have too much power available to fry the power tracks" on our controllers.

I've never seen that as a warning for any of the controllers, or ever mentioned as a concern elsewhere. I know there are many of us who have a centralized PSU that distributes power to all of our controllers/pixels--and I've never heard of this being a problem (or concern).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast