Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fm transmitter recommendation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fm transmitter recommendation

An attenuator cuts the power output. For 3db attenuation, it cuts the power in half, so my output is 50 mw. This gives me plenty of power to go 200 ft on either side of my house. I put it right in front of the input to my antenna. You can read here.

If you are using the output from your computer, you are probably OK. For those using a Pi and FPP, the USB sound card is the way to go. Some use the Sound Blaster 3 USB card to your transmitter. Many of us spend a lot on our displays, and don't want the sound quality to reduce the quality of the whole show.

The VAST FMT-212R is another viable solution. None of these are bad. I have a PLL transmitter like this one and I had lots of noise and bleed over onto other stations. Not really what you want. To have good sound, you will need to invest in a good transmitter, but to have great sound, you will have to invest a little more.
    Last edited by Keith R; 11-12-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Keith

Yeah I am currently looking at the "Signstek 0.5 W 05B Dual Mode Long Range Stereo Broadcast Home FM Transmitter with Antenna and Free Audio Cable Fashion Black " https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Broa...78694689&psc=1 This one. Is this what you guys are talking about?

If so could you post a link to the attenuator? I have already spent a good amount for all the stuff and I see spending a little extra on sound is not going to break the bank. Plus i would just rather do it once than spend more money later on to upgrade unless my wife says she wants it to sound like Carnegie Hall, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Byhova View Post
    Keith

Yeah I am currently looking at the "Signstek 0.5 W 05B Dual Mode Long Range Stereo Broadcast Home FM Transmitter with Antenna and Free Audio Cable Fashion Black " https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Broa...78694689&psc=1 This one. Is this what you guys are talking about?

If so could you post a link to the attenuator? I have already spent a good amount for all the stuff and I see spending a little extra on sound is not going to break the bank. Plus i would just rather do it once than spend more money later on to upgrade unless my wife says she wants it to sound like Carnegie Hall, lol.
    Yes, this is the one. If you use the enclosed antenna and 0.1 watt, you should be fine. I put mine in an enclosure and run the cable to a dipole antenna (whole other thread).
    You might find an attenuator cheaper, and you may not need one, but here is an example of a BNC to BNC. You will need to make sure that YOUR connectors are correct for your set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keith R View Post
    Yes, this is the one. If you use the enclosed antenna and 0.1 watt, you should be fine. I put mine in an enclosure and run the cable to a dipole antenna (whole other thread).
    You might find an attenuator cheaper, and you may not need one, but here is an example of a BNC to BNC. You will need to make sure that YOUR connectors are correct for your set up.
    Ok thank you so much, one last question do you just run the audio (say out of my laptop) into the "Audio" in on the left hand side next to the knob and just set your FM station?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank you so much, one last question do you just run the audio (say out of my laptop) into the "Audio" in on the left hand side next to the knob and just set your FM station?

Thatís how mine is set up yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If using the audio out of your laptop, I would start with a low volume, say 10-15, and listen to the output in your car. You can turn up the volume on your laptop until you start to hear it "clip" and turn it down some. You do not want the audio to be distorted due to over amplifying a high input.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keith R View Post
    If using the audio out of your laptop, I would start with a low volume, say 10-15, and listen to the output in your car. You can turn up the volume on your laptop until you start to hear it "clip" and turn it down some. You do not want the audio to be distorted due to over amplifying a high input.
    Awesome, thank you for the help. I went ahead and purchased the Signstek. The one I posted in that link above, it seems to be pretty simple and the reviews for light shows seemed to be pretty good as well. Thank you for your help. Your personal opinion do you think I will be fine with the stock antenna at the lowest setting on the FM transmitter without the use of an attenuator? I only need to cover roughly 50-75 feet Max from the front of the house to the road (I don't even think its that far)

Post Thanks / Like

I use it and works just fine better than I expected even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12