Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fm transmitter recommendation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fm transmitter recommendation

I am in need of a FM transmitter for my Christmas display. What do you guys recommend for functionality and ease of use. I donít want the FCC knocking on my door because I am broadcasting 10 miles away. I would say my house is about 30 - 40 feet away from the road. I honestly have no idea about what to look for or buy.

Thank you for any advise.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fm transmitter recommendation

Distance is not your primary consideration. There are a wide variety of quality and clarity issues that need to be looked at. I started with an FM02 class device and while the sound quality was OK, there was a bit of distortion and noise and almost no bass. I moved to an EDM and love the sound quality. I use a home made ground plane antenna mounted low to the ground with the transmitter set to its lowest settings. I get about 2 blocks before the signal fades and the fidelity at the display is great. there are other devices that work well and I am sure others will chime in shortly.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend any interested in new or improved audio watch this Video on Optimizing your Audio. Great information about different options and how best to Optimize your sound quality.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Many here have had great results with the PLL Synthesizer one that can be had for about $8-10 from Ebay.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fm transmitter recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Byhova View Post
    I am in need of a FM transmitter for my Christmas display. What do you guys recommend for functionality and ease of use. I donít want the FCC knocking on my door because I am broadcasting 10 miles away. I would say my house is about 30 - 40 feet away from the road. I honestly have no idea about what to look for or buy.

Thank you for any advise.
    I got mine on amazon and works excellently on low setting in a dense neighborhood I can get about few hundred feet all directions .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The ST-05B is what I use. I have it set on the LOW (0.1 watt or 100mw) and use a 3db attenuater. The 0.5 watt setting may be too much. The EDM's have been popular on here for a while and are good units. I use a cheap USB sound card like this one for the output from FPP.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want professional (read, broadcast FM) quality for your show, and you can afford it, the EDM is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post
    I got mine on amazon and works excellently on low setting in a dense neighborhood I can get about few hundred feet all directions .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently I am not that far in that I need professional quality ""YET"", but want something that I will be happy with for the years to come.

@wilmar Do you need anything else to go with that to broadcast the FM signal? I see that @Keith R said he uses "a 3db attenuater" I am not a sound guy so I am not sure that this is or if it is necessary with this ST-05B unit. Also is this device easy to set up and use? I am getting ready to place an order on Amazon so I could add this

I am not sure about my sound card, I was going to use a gaming laptop that I have to run my show from and it has a higher end sound card built in so I would think that work pretty good without the need of buying an external USB sound card device. If I need to I can but was trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used this one for years, works great AND it provides RDS when used on an FPP Raspberry Pi or BBB (I use BBB):

VAST FMT-212R Low Power FM Transmitter with RDS Encode and PC USB Audio, AUX Input

Plus it plugs directly into the USB port on the Pi or BBB, no separate audio cable needed.

Regards,

Dennis the Menace
    Last edited by dennismc; 11-12-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    Many here have had great results with the PLL Synthesizer one that can be had for about $8-10 from Ebay.
    Could you post a link to one, when I look on ebay (not sure what exactly I am looking for as far as the PLL Synthesizer) I typed it into ebay but the devices that are coming up are anywhere $50 - $80 and so I don't think it is the right thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast