Thread: Can anybody think of a reason why a wemos d1/espixelstick wouldn't be able to connect

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can anybody think of a reason why a wemos d1/espixelstick wouldn't be able to connect

The title is misleading due to character limit. Obviously there is oodles of reasons why this could be. More specifically, I have a wemos d1 mini flashed with the forkineye firmware. All of them I have flashed seemingly without issues to my main internet network, then been able to connect to it afterwards, configure, and have a successful control test. Well, my end game was never to run it on my main internet router due to signal and congestion. I have a few of these old workhorse routers that were cherished for their ability to load aftermarket firmware and really last, the WRT54g. It's flashed with DD-WRT, but more importantly, it seems to work fine with any other computer or device connecting to it. As a test, I connected a few pc's over wifi to the network I was broadcasting and left it over night. No issues, still connected without dropouts 10 hours later. So I flash the D1 mini exactly the same way, except replacing the ssid for the other router (which basically has one main difference between the working router in that the ip is 192.168.0.x instead of the 192.168.1.x of the working router network. It never connects to WRT router. I've updated the passphrase, set the correct network info for gateway and subnet, tried dhcp AND static addresses etc...I can never ever see it connected to the wrt router despite other devices actively connected at the time. If I switch on ap fallback, it never shows up as usual, but then eventually, I can see it as an AP and can connect no issue, so it's not the device itself. I tried re-flashing it and making changes, looked through the router settings for any reason this could be happening, found no reason. Re-flashed the original router SSID and passphrase with identical settings, instantly connects to the router. Flash the WRT ssid and passphrase, back to square one. I wondered if being a slightly older router with B/G was a problem, maybe the wemos only supported N and up at 2.4ghz (which is the only thing the wrt router puts out FYI). Also tried flashing it as an open network in case security was an issue (leaving the passphrase blank), did not work either. I couldn't find any specifics other than 2.4ghz only support with the wemos. Anybody have any ideas? I've since tested about 7 different devices and all are able to see and connect to the wrt router without the slightest issue or configuration. Also worth mentioning, the wrt router and wemos are only 5' apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can anybody think of a reason why a wemos d1/espixelstick wouldn't be able to con

When you flashed it, was the other router already running and stable? ESP's (single or in the D1 Mini for that matter) don't like it when they get flashed with firmware where there isn't something to connect to. And if you used a pre-set IP address when you flashed it, you'd run into trouble if that IP address has either been reserved by the router for a different MAC address or that IP is already in use. Just a couple thoughts....

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can anybody think of a reason why a wemos d1/espixelstick wouldn't be able to con

What version of forkineye firmware are you using? I have noticed something similar with some of the Travis builds. I have determined at some point that some of the Travis builds will not connect to my wifi, and I have narrowed it down to my sid having a special character. My 2 wifi networks that have a "-" in the name I can not connect to, my ones without a "-" I am able to connect to with no issues. So maybe you are running into something similar. Interestingly I did download the newest Travis build just yesterday and it was able to connect to the networks with the "-" in the SSID.

--
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sctwohig View Post
    What version of forkineye firmware are you using? I have noticed something similar with some of the Travis builds. I have determined at some point that some of the Travis builds will not connect to my wifi, and I have narrowed it down to my sid having a special character. My 2 wifi networks that have a "-" in the name I can not connect to, my ones without a "-" I am able to connect to with no issues. So maybe you are running into something similar. Interestingly I did download the newest Travis build just yesterday and it was able to connect to the networks with the "-" in the SSID.

--
    Shawn
    That has been the case for a while, back to v1.x and v2.x if I remember correctly. Same thing w/ the Passphrase - Keep it simple, letters and numbers, no special characters. And I think you have to have a passphrase for the ESP firmware.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sctwohig View Post

--
    Shawn
    I was using the most recent one from the Travis builds, oct 17th. Or rather I should say I upgraded to that one in an attempt to fix this issue. That's quite interesting about the characters causing issues. Ironically, the network that it DOES connect to without issue does have a hyphen in the name, and it connects without issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    That has been the case for a while, back to v1.x and v2.x if I remember correctly. Same thing w/ the Passphrase - Keep it simple, letters and numbers, no special characters. And I think you have to have a passphrase for the ESP firmware.
    Yeah, I realized that because when I tried to flash it blank, it automatically filled in the field with INSERT_PASSPHRASE_HERE or something like that. It did flash anyways, but either that was the key it tried to use, or it wouldn't connect properly. But when I flashed it with my proper key, it was just letters and numbers, and the exact same one that worked perfectly on my main network

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    When you flashed it, was the other router already running and stable? ESP's (single or in the D1 Mini for that matter) don't like it when they get flashed with firmware where there isn't something to connect to. And if you used a pre-set IP address when you flashed it, you'd run into trouble if that IP address has either been reserved by the router for a different MAC address or that IP is already in use. Just a couple thoughts....

Thank you chiming in. Yes, the network was up and running at the time. I did actually notice exactly what you reference one of the times, where I tried flashing a static IP to take out a variable, and it turned out that address was reserved for something else on another router. But I can connect to my main network without issue with every setting the same, dhcp. I've also now tested it with another router, and it seems to work with the other router as well. And yet, not a single other device new or old has any issue connecting to or seeing the wrt router?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey @angus40, trying to pm you but your inbox is full

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Hey @angus40, trying to pm you but your inbox is full
    all clear now .