Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data wiring configuration

Post Thanks / Like

Default Data wiring configuration

I'm in the process of wiring up my flat Mega tree.
    It will run 12 strings of WS2812b strings 2.5m length 75 nodes per string. So 6 150 strips in total. 900 nodes.

As I'm using Xlights, I was going to wire it up as per the wiring diagram. So before I get into this I had some questions.

Is the following best practice?

Each string will run from the bottom up as per xlights. So node 1 at the bottom node 75 at the top.
    I'll power inject at the bottom.
    Maybe the top too if needed.
    Now as for the data. I want to run one output from my Node D1 Mini into node 1 string one then out of node 75, back down the tree and into node one string two and so on.

Will this work?
    or Should I use two pins at 450 nodes each?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Data wiring configuration

Yes it will work BUT, it is simpler to run the data up one strip cross directly to the next strip and run down the next strip. This is called zig-zag and is supported by most controllers. This also means that you mount the strips in alternating directions. It keeps the data lines between strips much shorter.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

How would I configure this layout in xlights? A custom model?

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

First decide where you are going to apply the zig-zag operation. If you plan to do it in your controller then you leave xLights thinking that you are running data from bottom to top on all legs. If you plan to do it in xLights, then an xLights person needs to chime in. I am a vixen guy.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

In Xlights you set as 1 String and then X Strands (2,4,6...) and total # of nodes for all your strands (150, 300, 450...)
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    First decide where you are going to apply the zig-zag operation. If you plan to do it in your controller then you leave xLights thinking that you are running data from bottom to top on all legs. If you plan to do it in xLights, then an xLights person needs to chime in. I am a vixen guy.
    I was thinking at the top. I was hoping to just configure the Xlights model as I didn't want to mess with the code on my D1 Mini.
    In Xlights I have set it at:
    6 strings
    150 nodes per string
    2 stands per string

And the model now shoes the nodes starting bottom left and going up then back down to complete one string just like my (crude) wiring diagram. So in theory this should work and the effects should be correct.
    I just want to be sure before I wire this thing up as everything will be soldered so I only have one shot at getting the build right.
    Thanks.

strings.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nzchristmas.nz View Post
    I was thinking at the top. I was hoping to just configure the Xlights model as I didn't want to mess with the code on my D1 Mini.
    In Xlights I have set it at:
    6 strings
    150 nodes per string
    2 stands per string

And the model now shoes the nodes starting bottom left and going up then back down to complete one string just like my (crude) wiring diagram. So in theory this should work and the effects should be correct.
    I just want to be sure before I wire this thing up as everything will be soldered so I only have one shot at getting the build right.
    Thanks.

strings.jpg
    You have it correct. But no data connection between Strand 2 and 3, 3 would get its data from the controller and likewise strand 4 would have no data feed. Also I would have each strand powered from the bottom from the Power supply, not the controller.
    Last edited by Ruppro; 11-10-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes power and ground from the power supply. I drew this quickly at work.

I was hoping to use one continuous data feed from the controller through to the end. I was thinking of cutting Each 5m strip will be cut in half a connecting just the data at the top of each cut string and then connecting them to each other at the bottom.

But now I'm thinking just bending it over at the top and keeping the strings whole.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are only using one port to feed the tree, it would start at Strand 1 and then go up and down for your 12 strands, but you said that there were 6 Strings of 2 strand which means that each string is fed by a separate port on the controller. If it is only one port then your setup should be 1 String of 900 nodes, 12 strands/string. (note at 900 nodes your refresh rate will be 20 fps, if you want 40 fps I would use 2 ports of 450 (680 is about the max for 40 fps))
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a wiring diagram of my 24 string, 50 pixels per sting tree. And a pic of the string config in xlights. My wiring goes up down like your plan. D=Data, A=Power inject.

Wiring.jpg
    Xlights config.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast