Thread: ESPixelstick flash problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default ESPixelstick flash problems

Hi all

I'm very new to this and wanted to make some basic displays for my house. I'm intending to use a Nodemcu 8266 as I want to make a couple of snowflakes or something like that, and can run through xlights etc.

I've been struggling for the last few days to get anything to work. Firstly I tried running the pixelstick flasher (which I think would solve all of my issues) but it was coming up with an error that said it could not find the configuration file. I then got this to load, and it is not finding a com port and when I click upload it immediately says that the programming is complete.

I then tried running to run everything through the arduino IDE and that appeared to work but the board is not connecting to my wireless network, and I can not open a web page to the IP address I configured in the JSON file.

I don't think I need to connect any of the pins to ground as I have a flash button on the board, so as I understand it, you hold the button down as you connect the USB port. Is there some glaringly obvious thing that I'm doing wrong here? Is the flash tool in the wrong directory or something?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelstick flash problems

You will need Java installed on the system, if you don't have Java you will need to install it. When you download the Flash Tool, Unzip it and keep everything in the original folder and run the Flash tool from there. Fill in your SSID and passphrase (keep it simple numbers and letters) choose the Com port and upload
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Update on this. I reinstalled everything (again) and the flash tool started working and found the board. It appears that the USB cable I was using had an issue but now the board won't connect to wifi. I read somewhere that it will only connect to a 2.4ghz router? If that's the case then will it connect to a dual band router or do I need something specific?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is only 2.4 GHz, Dual band should be fine, but you may want to make a separate SSID, 2.4 GHz only, just for the ESPs
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never had an issue with my dual band router connecting. On a WiFi capable computer, scam for wireless networks and see if any odd-named ones show up. The ESPixelStick will default to access point mode if it doesn’t connect to a WiFi network, so sometimes you can find it as an access point and connect to it. That should let you see what the setting actually are.

You can also search the WiFi network for oddly-named devices and browse to the IP address listed. That’s how I find mine if I don’t know the IP.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, further update. My router allows me to have a second network which is set as 2.4. I changed everything over to this and the board worked straight away! Thanks for the help on that. Now onto the next problem. When I test with a string of WS2811 pixels in a string of 50. When I try white through the web page interface it works, but selecting a colour makes them randomly flash in different colours nomatter which option I select. Any ideas what could be causing this? Do I need to connect the board to the same power supply as the LEDs? Currently I only have the data cable plugged into the board and it's powered through the USB port.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    Ok, further update. My router allows me to have a second network which is set as 2.4. I changed everything over to this and the board worked straight away! Thanks for the help on that. Now onto the next problem. When I test with a string of WS2811 pixels in a string of 50. When I try white through the web page interface it works, but selecting a colour makes them randomly flash in different colours nomatter which option I select. Any ideas what could be causing this? Do I need to connect the board to the same power supply as the LEDs? Currently I only have the data cable plugged into the board and it's powered through the USB port.
    You need to connect the Ground from the Pixels to the board, Data is in reference to Ground
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, if you set up more than one SSID on the same radio and in the same band, you're likely going to run into lag and delay issues on the ESPs down the road. It's a problem that won't surface at first until you have several universes and esps in operation.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I'm pleased to say that this is now working correctly and I have flashed and connected to Xlights a further two boards. I'm only planning on having 3 or 4 separate boards so hopefully I won't get too much lag.

Thanks for your help