Thread: Ray's "18 AWG" pixel wire

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ray's "18 AWG" pixel wire

I received a bunch of pixels strings from Ray this year. They're all marked as 18 AWG on the insulation - every few inches.

However, when I measure the diameter of the wire itself, it's all between 0.55mm and 0.65mm which makes it 22 AWG at best. It's also very obvious when you hold it next to other 18 AWG and 22 AWG wire, that it's 22 AWG and not 18 AWG.

The outside of the "18 AWG" insulation measures the same as all my other 18 AWG wire, but the insulation from Ray's lights are twice as thick (to accommodate the thinner conductors inside). So it seems like there are some shenanigans going on.

However, the previous order I had from Ray which was unspecified, measured at 0.32 mm which would make them 28 AWG. So the "18 AWG" is still better even if it's not actually 18 AWG.

Are 18 AWG overspecified like this by all vendors, or does someone actually sell pixels with real 18 AWG (1mm) wire?
    2017: 33069 pixels, 24 E682's. 50 A/C with 2 LOR
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ray's "18 AWG" pixel wire

I went and measured my pixels from Paul, they are 18awg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deonb View Post
    I received a bunch of pixels strings from Ray this year. They're all marked as 18 AWG on the insulation - every few inches.

However, when I measure the diameter of the wire itself, it's all between 0.55mm and 0.65mm which makes it 22 AWG at best. It's also very obvious when you hold it next to other 18 AWG and 22 AWG wire, that it's 22 AWG and not 18 AWG.

The outside of the "18 AWG" insulation measures the same as all my other 18 AWG wire, but the insulation from Ray's lights are twice as thick (to accommodate the thinner conductors inside). So it seems like there are some shenanigans going on.

However, the previous order I had from Ray which was unspecified, measured at 0.32 mm which would make them 28 AWG. So the "18 AWG" is still better even if it's not actually 18 AWG.

Are 18 AWG overspecified like this by all vendors, or does someone actually sell pixels with real 18 AWG (1mm) wire?

I can't speak to actual accurately measured diameter, but I got some of the "promotion pixels" from him this year that had positive reviews. I haven't had them all going during the show to see their performance level yet, but I could swear as I'm cutting off insulation to splice wires and do what we do with pixels, it often looks like there is only 3 or 4 strands of wire making up the core. And that's NOT because of cutting some by accident. I've cut into multiple strings and used different methods just in case it was ripping some of the wire. His business is his reputation, which is almost exclusively positive, so here's hoping. In my case, there was no awg specified in the listing. I will say that whoever did the sealing did a pretty sloppy job. And many of the pixel bullet shells are ovaled like there was too much weight compressing them

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever your results, I'd let Ray know. He may be unaware that his wire supplier is cutting corners (if they are).
    Marking and advertising at 18 AWG and delivering 22 or 24 isn't good, for either side.
    I believe that Ray has been good to all of us, and deserves the consideration.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I happened to notice this on a another vendor's pixabulbs. I have not measured the difference in the conductors, but the pixabulb conductors have visually smaller conductors. What caused me to notice is that I use heat shrink crimp butt connectors and my crimp tool will not crimp the pixabulb wires in the connector. They pull right out. The conductors in the pigtails are larger, (but also 18AWG) and crimp fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Whatever your results, I'd let Ray know. He may be unaware that his wire supplier is cutting corners (if they are).
    Marking and advertising at 18 AWG and delivering 22 or 24 isn't good, for either side.
    I believe that Ray has been good to all of us, and deserves the consideration.
    Couldn't agree more! Which is why I said his reputation is his business, which is almost entirely positive. In many cases enthusiastically so. So here's hoping

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

I just received some 18 AWG pixels from diyledexpress.com

They are virtually identical to Ray's 18 AWG wires. There is another manufacturer name printed on the insulation, but it's the same font and markings otherwise and the conductors seem identical in size, strands & color.

So the diyledexpress wires are also 22 AWG in my opinion, and are visually much thinner than 3 other sets of 18 AWG wire that I have for comparison (speaker, alarm and test leads).

Honestly, I don't really care - if this is what all 18 AWG pixel wires are, then I won't even bother going back to Ray about it. Ray and I also have a great relationship going back 6 years. However, if there are indeed thicker conductors available, I would like to switch to those.

Dim Bulb, how did you measure Paul's wire? Or what did you compare it against?
    2017: 33069 pixels, 24 E682's. 50 A/C with 2 LOR
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

Used calipers, compared it to somev18 guage auto wire I bought. I will post a pic when I get home.