Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to setup up a DMX controlled smoke machine using Falcon controller and Vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to setup up a DMX controlled smoke machine using Falcon controller and Vixen

Hi could someone give me support on how to setup a DMX controlled smoking machine in Vixenlight.

The smoking machine is connected to a DMX port 3 on my Falcon Controller F16V3.

According to the manual the DMX adress of the machine can be set between 1 and 256. And then by using channel 1 I should be able to control the volumne of the machine.

In the Falcon controller I can configure the serial output to DMX and then set a start address.

In Vixen I can see that I can add a DMX pro or a DMX open controller. I do not know which one to choose and how do I set this up to connect to my Falcon controllerīs Ip adress and how do I set the channel 1 to a specific value.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to setup up a DMX controlled smoke machine using Falcon controller and Vixen

The DMX channels in vixen will be just part of your Falcon controller. Create an element with the amount of channels for what you need and patch them to the corresponding channels/universe in your F16 for how you have configured the actually controller, or vice versa. The F16, like other controllers with DMX out will handle the data conversion for you.

In the element group in Vixen you will use custom values to control the Device if it requires a specific channel value between 0-255 or just use a set level if it just needs a signal.

A Dmx device does not know what universe it is on. Fog machines can use a few channels depending on the brand. A few seem to have 7 channels eg. Channel 1 - on. Channel 2 - Duration. Channel 3 - Interval etc... You would set your start channel on the fog machine to match the channel number for the DMX universe that you are using. Most likely it would be set to - 1 - Then if you had another fog machine you could daisy chain the two and set it's start channel to the end of the first.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to setup up a DMX controlled smoke machine using Falcon controller and Vixen

I canīt make it work. If I run the Falcon controller in test mode I can see that the DMX hardware is working fine.
    Here is a link to how I did the setup in Vixen, Falcon Player and the DMX instruction for the hardware. Hope someone can help me on the way.
    I am sure that I set the DIP switches on the DMX hardware to the value of 10.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ug...krJplpKelskkv3

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a reason for you to start it at "10" on serial output #3? You are telling the Falcon to send the 10th E1.31 channel in the received Universe 1 down the DMX line first. Since the Falcon is converting the E1.31 data it receives, it will send the 10th channel of the stream as the first DMX channel on that line.

Try setting the start address on your Falcon's output #3 to "1".
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried to change ouput #3 to value 1, but still not working.
    I also changed from 10 channel to channel 1 to simplify the example.
    I updated my link with the settings I just tried. Anyway have some ideas what I could try next?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ug...krJplpKelskkv3

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a dmx controlled light you can attach to the Falcon? That could give you a better indication that something is happening.

Did you try a ramp from 0 to 100 over 5 seconds or so?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with MikeKrebs. You need something to tell you if you are actually activating the channel.
    A good number of fog/snow machines need a warm up time. You may be activating and not know it.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to see how this topic comes out...it just so happens my kids were asking me about a snow machine to connect to my lights/controllers, seeing how we don't get much snow in Portland, OR.

Of course, I'd be running via FPP, xLights, and E682 controllers, but I imagine it's much the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi thank you for your comments/replys.

First of all I know that the fog machine is working together with the Falcon troller, because I can trigger it by the falcon controller. The fog machine has a status indication and when it is green, it is possible for me trough Falcon Controller test mode to produce fog, so the wired setup is correct.

I do not have a dmx controlled light, is there any suggestion to a cheap product of this?

My next thoughts was to to ask the Falcon controller support on how they produce the test mode. Because if the test mode triggers my DMX hardware and I canīt it must be of course because my protocol is wrong.

Mike Krebs you wrote "Did you try a ramp from 0 to 100 over 5 seconds or so?", what do you mean by that?, are you talking about creating a custom value in my sequense where I increase the value from 0 to 100. For now I have tried to make and output value with the value 10, 50, 100 for a period over more than 5 seconds and nothing happens.

All inputs are really appriciated.

Post Thanks / Like

so the manual says there is only 1 channel that triggers the smoke?
    teres no channel for duration, smokevolume, smokeOn etc???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast