Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixel icicle meteor module adaptation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel icicle meteor module adaptation

For reference, I've gotten some custom boards from bwinter's meteor icicle project. Rather than try to explain the specifics of the project and schematic, I'll link it https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthr...odule-Feedback

So a few things. He set it up to run from a pi zero on the module. My current setup, I run the show directly from my pc with vixen. And the boards have parts on the back side to connect the pi zero. I don't know the logistics or even possibility of running part of the show live and part on a pi with fpp at the same time. I had always thought you don't do both. I often edit my sequences and make changes regularly even during the show season, so the thought of having to pull an SD card to go edit it and then replace it doesn't really appeal to me. I do however have some wemos d1 minis, so I wouldn't be against integrating them if that's a possibility? The other thing I was thinking of doing was just using bullets instead of strip. Just because I don't want to have to order more strip this late in the season and be cutting it close. I seem to think that other than possibly having to tweak the breakout board connection between the cat 5 and pixels, it should be ok to swap in the 5v bullets right? The question becomes how many can I use per icicle? Any thoughts? I still have to order the parts to use on the board based on what feedback I get, so time will be short to get those done.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel icicle meteor module adaptation

Here's a video showing some finished product in action. Really cool work on these bwinter.! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-OxLoW3gYE

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my initial thoughts:

The module can also sit on a regular Pi3 (or whatever). I do believe that people run shows directly off XLights/Vixen through a PiHat (which is essentially what this is)—I just don’t know how. However, I do think it’s VERY easy to load your show directly to each module (PiHat).

Of course you can use bullets instead of strips. You don’t even need to use my header/break-out boards (which were designed for strips). You just need to follow the CAT5 wiring convention (printed on the module) for 5V, GND, Data-Out, Data-Return.

As far as total number of bullets: the left 4 outputs and right 4 outputs are each fused at 10A (thus 2.5A each output).

Post Thanks / Like

Also, you don’t have to pull the uSD card to update your sequence—you can upload the sequence wirelessly (FPP Connect in XLights, and I’m sure Vixen has its own method).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    Also, you don’t have to pull the uSD card to update your sequence—you can upload the sequence wirelessly (FPP Connect in XLights, and I’m sure Vixen has its own method).
    Admittedly, I haven't done any fpp stuff yet. I was going to that next season, but it's more than likely I am getting some facts wrong. I thought every time you make a change you have to export the sequence to fpp format then upload it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel icicle meteor module adaptation

Correct. When you change your sequence in the sequencing software, you do have to re-upload to your Pi’s/FPP.

However, that can be done wirelessly within the sequencing software, and only takes seconds...

So for me, it’s really a question of “why not”?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, you could just forget about the Pi and feed it data from a spare output on one of your other controllers; anything set to WS2812 would work, that includes a Wemos using Shelbys code. That way Bwinters board will just sort he power and regenerate the data, you can incorporate the Pi zero’s at your leisure next year.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 11-06-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, you could just forget about the Pi and feed it data from a spare output on one of your other controllers; anything set to WS2812 would work, that includes a Wemos using Shelbys code. That way Bwinters board will just sort he power and regenerate the data, you can incorporate the Pi zero’s at your leisure next year.
    So I can basically just connect my wemos module to the pins where the gpio from the pi would normally go?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    I'm trying to figure out where I would connect the data line on the board seeing as I believe it normally has gpio socket on the back side (sorry, I haven't actually seen the back with parts soldered yet)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I've never seen a close up of the board but from what I understand:

So I can basically just connect my wemos module to the pins where the gpio from the pi would normally go?
    Yes and you should be able to pick up 5V and ground to power the Wemos.

I'm trying to figure out where I would connect the data line on the board seeing as I believe it normally has gpio socket on the back side (sorry, I haven't actually seen the back with parts soldered yet)
    I could speculate based on the Pi zero pinout but Bwinter really is the best person to confirm the pins.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast