Thread: portable hole trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Default portable hole trouble

this is my second year putting up this tree. you can see i had a little trouble. i just put the rigid in by hand and didn't even notice that i used less than half the threads. pulling the hole around by the pole and it broke. do you think if i had used all the threads this would have happened? hopefully, i can find an electrician with a die to cut more threads into the rigid.

anyone else had any trouble like this?

sadb.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: portable hole trouble

If you know someone with a threader you can cut new threads onto it. But if you have to pay someone to do it, it'll cost you more than the $15 piece of pipe.

BTW, I know that i've seen plenty of people do this sort of thing, and i cringe every time. Pipe threads are to keep fluid inside of the pipe, not for structural strength. You shouldn't be relying on that joint for any tensile or sheer strength. Even with it threaded all the way in, you've still got a good chance to break it by the threads again. Typically for an application like this, you should have set a sleeve into the concrete that the pipe would slide into and then fix it with set screws. I know it's too late for this portable hole. Just don't use the threaded connections as a lever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    ...and i cringe every time.
    thanks, good to know. from now on, i'll place the hole and hold the pipe vertical while i thread it in
    Last edited by cmitcham; 11-05-2019 at 09:22 PM. Reason: or the sleeve thing :)

Post Thanks / Like

Call your local Home Depot. they have helped me out before threading pipe.
    Last edited by Keith R; 11-05-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on Home Depot or Lowes

This is why I have wondered why no one as tried making a Portable Hole using a Tire, then all you have to do is tip it and roll it where ever you want it to go. (just don't tip it using the center pole)
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Can you take off the winch, hardware, etc, and flip the pole? I haven't looked at mine, but I think it could work.
    2012 - 12 Channels and an Arduino

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    +1 on Home Depot or Lowes

This is why I have wondered why no one as tried making a Portable Hole using a Tire, then all you have to do is tip it and roll it where ever you want it to go. (just don't tip it using the center pole)
    I think part of it may be the square shape corners giving it more stability especially when combined with the extensions.

Post Thanks / Like

Plus 1 on Jon's comment. It's also material. For example, I use 3/4 iron pipe, and it s quite thick. When you thread something, you are effectively carving away materials from the surface and weakening how much material is able to resist pressure. The kind of pipe you have is quite strong structurally, but you can see that after threading, it's a pretty damn thin wall left. Combine that with the amount of weight put on it, thread depth, and wear from weather and expansion /contraction over a season +, you get that result.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and my source.... I used to be a red seal certified plumber lol. Me and the threading machine spent way too much time together