Thread: Need ideas what to add to the show this year? Coming to the experts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need ideas what to add to the show this year? Coming to the experts.

Hi, some background first. I have a pretty big show in my terms, all LED strings, no pixels (dont like em). I have, Megatree, 6 Light Poles (white and Blue), arches, LED wall washers, and various elements that all work in the theme. I even have a Leg Lamp from the actual Christmas Story house in the window and connected to the show.... I really love the volume of light that string lights produce... I have 2 networks like 6 renard ss24s and 15 LOR boxes running DMX all sequenced in Vixen. Great job Vixen guys! Love it.

So now my question, what can I add that would fit that theme? DMX was thinking light beams? I dont know what they are called? GOBOs? Couldnt find outdoor ones that werent super expensive... and GO!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need ideas what to add to the show this year? Coming to the experts.

Do you have snowflakes? I love the Holdman show from 2010 and his string of snowflakes is the bomb.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need ideas what to add to the show this year? Coming to the experts.

Wreaths: take some artificial wreaths, add a string or two of 35 or 50 LEDs. Gives a real look during the day and of course, ring-type lights at night without the perfect circles that coro wreaths display. Much more pleasing.

Candy canes. It's a natural.

Jumbo 3D ornaments. Not RBLS, but large ornaments of various shapes. Make them out of thin coro, hung in a tree. Light them internally with dumb RGB, not pixels.

Icicles. Not the pixel type. Just the commercial ones. String them up in a tree instead of regular light strings. Amazing effect.

Stars. Outline stars made of clear plastic with rope light. Hang in a tree for a "hollow" star appearance. Squares, circles, ovals work too, but not quite as cool.

Charlie Brown tree. Commercial ones are too small. Make your own: pvc, rebar, stiff wire, wire-based garland....
    tree.jpg

You're not even close to exhausting ideas...

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have any "rock" type songs, you could make a kind of guitar string prop and pluck the string to go with the music? Or piano style if not the kind of music? Personally, I'm adding a "light drumset" this year. Picked up a dirt cheap kids set, rigged lights in each drum and the cymbal. Especially easy and good for accenting beats, particularly since so many songs are quite literally: bass drum...snare....bass drum...snare...bass drum...snare

Post Thanks / Like

Chroma-tubes, Chase-cicles , Angel-Bells (chain link fence on left)- all very visible throughout "Mary, Did You Know?
    Oh, and the "Piano" fence. Not really piano, but has 24 sections for chasing, waveform, or piano-type activity.

Snowflakes have already been mentioned: Use LOTS of different sizes. A random-ish sparkle looks fabulous. Look at lasts 30 seconds of Mr. Grinch (Sorry for the Low-res - I lost access to my better camera.)

One of the ones that has worked out for me is Coro-silhouette, especially if back-lit with a good RGB (LED) flood. See them in the corners of Mary Did You Know above.

Jimboha.
    Last edited by jimboha; 11-10-2019 at 02:03 AM.
    Springville, Utah