Thread: Need ideas what to add to the show this year? Coming to the experts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need ideas what to add to the show this year? Coming to the experts.

Hi, some background first. I have a pretty big show in my terms, all LED strings, no pixels (dont like em). I have, Megatree, 6 Light Poles (white and Blue), arches, LED wall washers, and various elements that all work in the theme. I even have a Leg Lamp from the actual Christmas Story house in the window and connected to the show.... I really love the volume of light that string lights produce... I have 2 networks like 6 renard ss24s and 15 LOR boxes running DMX all sequenced in Vixen. Great job Vixen guys! Love it.

So now my question, what can I add that would fit that theme? DMX was thinking light beams? I dont know what they are called? GOBOs? Couldnt find outdoor ones that werent super expensive... and GO!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need ideas what to add to the show this year? Coming to the experts.

Do you have snowflakes? I love the Holdman show from 2010 and his string of snowflakes is the bomb.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need ideas what to add to the show this year? Coming to the experts.

Wreaths: take some artificial wreaths, add a string or two of 35 or 50 LEDs. Gives a real look during the day and of course, ring-type lights at night without the perfect circles that coro wreaths display. Much more pleasing.

Candy canes. It's a natural.

Jumbo 3D ornaments. Not RBLS, but large ornaments of various shapes. Make them out of thin coro, hung in a tree. Light them internally with dumb RGB, not pixels.

Icicles. Not the pixel type. Just the commercial ones. String them up in a tree instead of regular light strings. Amazing effect.

Stars. Outline stars made of clear plastic with rope light. Hang in a tree for a "hollow" star appearance. Squares, circles, ovals work too, but not quite as cool.

Charlie Brown tree. Commercial ones are too small. Make your own: pvc, rebar, stiff wire, wire-based garland....
    tree.jpg

You're not even close to exhausting ideas...

http://digwdf.com/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for more than a year, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have any "rock" type songs, you could make a kind of guitar string prop and pluck the string to go with the music? Or piano style if not the kind of music? Personally, I'm adding a "light drumset" this year. Picked up a dirt cheap kids set, rigged lights in each drum and the cymbal. Especially easy and good for accenting beats, particularly since so many songs are quite literally: bass drum...snare....bass drum...snare...bass drum...snare

Post Thanks / Like

Chroma-tubes, Chase-cicles , Angel-Bells (chain link fence on left)- all very visible throughout "Mary, Did You Know?
    Oh, and the "Piano" fence. Not really piano, but has 24 sections for chasing, waveform, or piano-type activity.

Snowflakes have already been mentioned: Use LOTS of different sizes. A random-ish sparkle looks fabulous. Look at lasts 30 seconds of Mr. Grinch (Sorry for the Low-res - I lost access to my better camera.)

One of the ones that has worked out for me is Coro-silhouette, especially if back-lit with a good RGB (LED) flood. See them in the corners of Mary Did You Know above.

Jimboha.
    Last edited by jimboha; 11-10-2019 at 02:03 AM.
    Springville, Utah

Post Thanks / Like

Jimboha,
    Can you elaborate on:
    The rotating star
    The piano wall
    The arches- 4 or 8 channel
    The mini trees- construction??

And anything else you’d like to elaborate on.

Tnx. -CHUCK