Thread: Advice Please !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice Please !!

Hi Every One Thank You for the add to your group been a member for awhile but do to illness in family and other personal Issue's I finally can get started with having a display I had used a mr christmas in passed I was gonna hack it but never got around to it so I was giving a Gemmy controller with a Aux box which I can run 12 lines too it I have a Question for some one I am wondering should I use the LED lights with it ? or does any one know of a easy hack for it to go computerized with it. as I'm hoping this will get my better half into it. so I can use more of a computer controlled unit in future any help and advice would be appreciated thank you in advance ! Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice Please !!

It depends on what you mean by "the LED lights". This is an AC controller and you can plug in an AC string of lights as long as the current through the string is less than 1.25A.

You wont be able to use this device to control pixels or strings of DC lights.
    You wont be able to drive this controller from a show player like Vixen/xLights/FPP etc...

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You Martin for the reply all lights would be AC . I was wondering if the strings of LED lights would give a better illumination. So there is no known hack for the Gemmy then I take it
    Last edited by Mike66; 11-05-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not followed this controller and do not know if there is a hack for it. Based on the web site, it does not have any form of expansion using an external data source.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I have not followed this controller and do not know if there is a hack for it. Based on the web site, it does not have any form of expansion using an external data source.
    ok thank you again I have been searching for hours and days trying to see if any one had made changes to it again thank you for the reply's I can play my own music in it either by mp3 player or from other sources
    Last edited by Mike66; 11-05-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you open it up, you will probably find a chip or two with mosfets or triacs connected. You could probably hack it but you would be in uncharted territory. If it has the aux in mode, there is probably some version of a color organ involved. Take it apart and see what you find!

Post Thanks / Like

Your best bet, I believe, is to contact Gemmy directly. Perhaps they have a tech support line or they might share a schematic of their product. Armed with that there may be a possibility of going forward with it, but otherwise, it's all guesswork. May the Schwartz be with you.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for your advice