Thread: Dead Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dead Controller

I have an ACx16 controller that's dead. I have 3 of these in my show.

It's an old controller made by a hobbyist guy that used to sell them under the name D-Light. From what I understand, they're essentially LOR clones. He's out of the business now, but while he was closing down, he was nice enough to send me DMX firmware chips when I asked him. That was 4 or 5 years ago.

I also use discontinued software called Aurora that I think a bunch of D-light customers were using. I switched the shows to DMX and added a few DMX dumb color channels. It mostly works. But now I'm trying to decide whether I can find an ACx16 somewhere that can fit into this configuration, or whether I should bag it for the year. At some point I plan to switch to pixel matrixes and migrate to Vixen or something still developed. Unfortunately I just don't have the time or money this year to pull all that off.

Anyone have any experience with any of these platforms, or have any suggestions on affordable 16 channel (dimming) AC controllers? I'm all LED now, so I don't think load per channel will really be a factor.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone can provide.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dead Controller

The Renard 16 channel controllers can be flashed to use DMX on their input. You could use them as a drop in replacement.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what died? What I remember about the dlight was that it was a simple design that you could fix if something went wrong. Almost all the renard controllers can Dmx so you could post a wtb and see if you could strike a deal. The LOR controllers DMX too . Either might work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Lynx express controllers for sale. Solid easy to use ac controllers.
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...Items-For-Sale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    Do you know what died? What I remember about the dlight was that it was a simple design that you could fix if something went wrong. Almost all the renard controllers can Dmx so you could post a wtb and see if you could strike a deal. The LOR controllers DMX too . Either might work for you.
    I found a guy selling a couple Animated Lighting DMX controllers on PlanetChristmas. On their way. I'm not sure what's wrong with the D-light board. Completely nonresponsive with no output on any channel. Power led is active, and IIRC, seems to indicate a DMX signal when present. Just no output anywhere.