Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting my first set up with pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starting my first set up with pixels.

How many controller-outputs are you thinking?

Several of those ďcolorsĒ could be combined into one continuous strand.

Your best (ie most inexpensive) goal would be to minimize the number of outputs you need from a controller. This would be done by daisy-chaining your elements (roof and windows).

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I would not *design* your system to run at 50%.

Design to run it at full-power, when choosing a PSU, wire/jumper gauge, fusing, power injection, etc. You should always design your system to support a greater capacity than what youíre planning to run atóI.e., make sure your design has ample headroom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    Also, I would not *design* your system to run at 50%.

Design to run it at full-power, when choosing a PSU, wire/jumper gauge, fusing, power injection, etc. You should always design your system to support a greater capacity than what you’re planning to run at—I.e., make sure your design has ample headroom.
    I would like to do a Pi with a PiHat but I would need to make the 10 connections into 2 if I read everything correctly. That’s why I put all the connections together as close as I could. Also I couldn’t find 12V power supply that’s more than 30 amps that works on 110 power system.
    Last edited by Cameron3395; 11-06-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron3395 View Post
    I would like to do a Pi with a PiHat but I would need to make the 10 connections into 2 if I read everything correctly. That’s why I put all the connections together as close as I could. Also I couldn’t find 12V power supply that’s more than 30 amps that wiseman on 110 power system.
    When going to fewer ports aka longer string. you need to understand that the string is a serial configuration (end of one string goes to the start of the next). You dont bring all of the string starts into a central point. Next, there are lots of high power supplies. Here is an example of a google search that will show them to you:

12v 1000w power supply

This brings up a bunch of meanwell supplies rated between 350w and 1000w
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 11-06-2019 at 02:41 PM.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Wire layout.jpg
    Now just got to figure out if I can use the screw in ports and how to inject and so forth. I ordered a bigger power supply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    When going to fewer ports aka longer string. you need to understand that the string is a serial configuration (end of one string goes to the start of the next). You dont bring all of the string starts into a central point. Next, there are lots of high power supplies. Here is an example of a google search that will show them to you:

12v 1000w power supply

This brings up a bunch of meanwell supplies rated between 350w and 1000w
    Ok, well I ordered a 720w power supply. If I install 2 strings of 350 pixels to work with the PiCap I would need to inject about every 100 pixels correct? I have 700 pixels, so both channels would have 350 apiece. If injecting is what I need to do, from what Iíve read I would need to inject each channel about half way through and then at the end? Also, would 14 gauge speaker wire be good for injecting? I would just run that straight to the power supply from the injection spot correct? Thanks for your help by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend using a power distribution board (thatís fused), instead of going straight off the PSU.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    I would recommend using a power distribution board (that’s fused), instead of going straight off the PSU.
    Thanks! Does the rest sound right besides that?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds reasonable to me.

14/2 speaker wire would probably work for power injection. I use 16/2 landscape lighting cable, as I know it will hold-up outdoors (weather, sun, etc).

When choosing your injection points, I like to have them at sensible placesóreasonably easy to access, and already at points where thereís a break in the line (I.e., donít simple cut a line just because itís the 100-pixel).

Others wise, yeah, youíre on track. But you do have a lot of work ahead of you...

Post Thanks / Like

I actually enjoy the physical part of it. It’s the not knowing of something new that is scary. Haha. What distribution board do you recommend for PiCap system? Again, thanks for all of your help.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast