Thread: First Timerís Controller Build

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb First Timerís Controller Build

Hey guys!

cant say how much this forum has helped me in my quest to get pixels running for 2019! Thought Iíd show off my partially completed controller build (waiting on the F16V3 & a couple other goodies) and see what you thought... I rummaged around through my extra bits an pieces from old jobs (electrician by trade) and managed to pull together enough to make it work, itís not perfect but Iím pretty happy sofar!

2x 300w 5v power supplies, AC distribution & protection, DC power injection distribution and protection, power monitor shunts and Rasp Pi 4 installed sofar. Right side of the board has room for the F16 and more terminal strips.

what say you?02C48525-3A4C-4A7B-937F-B02DDF7BA02A.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Timerís Controller Build

Quote Originally Posted by Islandspark View Post
    Hey guys!

cant say how much this forum has helped me in my quest to get pixels running for 2019! Thought Iíd show off my partially completed controller build (waiting on the F16V3 & a couple other goodies) and see what you thought... I rummaged around through my extra bits an pieces from old jobs (electrician by trade) and managed to pull together enough to make it work, itís not perfect but Iím pretty happy sofar!

2x 300w 5v power supplies, AC distribution & protection, DC power injection distribution and protection, power monitor shunts and Rasp Pi 4 installed sofar. Right side of the board has room for the F16 and more terminal strips.

what say you?02C48525-3A4C-4A7B-937F-B02DDF7BA02A.jpeg
    Looks nice. I've been meaning to look into a way to monitor my power consumption. The way I wired mine up there isn't a trivial way to wire a current sensor in and get it's reading back to the network. Is there enough room on that bottom PSU for the fan to vent properly?

Post Thanks / Like

Very neat and tidy! I take it you are not planning on putting this outside?

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, it’s built on a back pan for a weatherproof junction box ;)

Post Thanks / Like

I will let you wire up my installs from now on! Good job. Very tidy.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent job! I did similar back when I built my 4 controller "box" for my LED mega tree using LOR controller kits that I built.
    It's a lot of fun to build this stuff and make it do the magic. This was back in 2009 though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

What are you using for the labels I see on the THHN?

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice and neat. I have always been a bit worried about stacking these PSUs like that. The active fan needs to get cool air to push through the PSU. It looks like the lower PSU gets AIR that has passed by the back of the upper PSU. Do you plan to add side fans to get cool outside air to the lower PSU?

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Very nice and neat. I have always been a bit worried about stacking these PSUs like that. The active fan needs to get cool air to push through the PSU. It looks like the lower PSU gets AIR that has passed by the back of the upper PSU. Do you plan to add side fans to get cool outside air to the lower PSU?
    There’s about 3/4” between the power supplies, it shouldn’t have much trouble breathing. I don’t expect it to be an issue (at least it’s not with non-Chineseium power supplies but time will tell)...

Quote Originally Posted by ags0000 View Post
    What are you using for the labels I see on the THHN?
    im just using white vinyl stickers in my handheld Bradey labeler.