Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about custom Length Sets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about custom Length Sets

Hey all. So Ive been looking at making my own LED sets. As in, buying a spool of 500' either 6" or 12" spacing and cutting them to the lengths I need. But I do have a few questions as I keep reading mixed things about them.

First, with the 500' long spool, Can I cut these down to any size I want and add a male and female plug to them? I understand its a 2 stand wire, and I have to match up the Neutral and the hot to match both ends and my house hold plugs..

Second, slightly goes with the first question. Is there a certain length where I need to add in a resistor? I noticed some sites say you do, some say you dont. The bulbs I'm looking at are
    .8 watts / .007 amps per bulb.

My longest string will be 52' and my shortest would be 10'

Any other info would be great. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question about custom Length Sets

Sorry, have to answer your questions with a question.
    Are you talking about AC LEDs, or DC LEDs? (I don't want to assume here.)

If DC LEDs, are they all one color? (Again, no assumptions here.)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newlifer89 View Post
    Hey all. So Ive been looking at making my own LED sets. As in, buying a spool of 500' either 6" or 12" spacing and cutting them to the lengths I need. But I do have a few questions as I keep reading mixed things about them.

First, with the 500' long spool, Can I cut these down to any size I want and add a male and female plug to them? I understand its a 2 stand wire, and I have to match up the Neutral and the hot to match both ends and my house hold plugs..

Second, slightly goes with the first question. Is there a certain length where I need to add in a resistor? I noticed some sites say you do, some say you dont. The bulbs I'm looking at are

I think it really depends on the product as there isn't one specific standard. I can tell you exactly what a guy I know used to do (he showed me the ropes). Don't know if you've ever heard of "vampire plugs". They are basically Christmas light items that are used to make custom strings. The main functions of these regardless of what kind of item you are adding, is that there is two very sharp "teeth" in them, one for each wire in the string. You run the electrical string, insulation and all into the item so that the teeth are contacting the wire, then there is a cover that slides on over the wire and pushes the wire so the teeth pierce the insulation and contact the wire, along with sealing it and holding it in place. Same concept as a "T-tap" connector. They sell all sorts of pieces for this, female ends, male plug ends, in line sockets for the lights of various bulbs and sizes (so that you can have any spacing you want along with exactly the start and terminal points you want, no slack. The ones he used and I have are meant for spt-2 wire, and you usually have to make sure they are the correct wire. I've used these both for making custom strings AND for making custom length extensions/cable connections between a controller and the light string. Never ever had a short or an issue with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newlifer89 View Post

I know with the ones I've made, I've used incandescent, led and strobes. The beauty of that, is you just get one big spool of regular wire without committing to a specific spacing or use

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Sorry, have to answer your questions with a question.
    Are you talking about AC LEDs, or DC LEDs? (I don't want to assume here.)

If DC LEDs, are they all one color? (Again, no assumptions here.)
    I thought the same need to ask a question to even think of providing any answer

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I have some of these should the need arise !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all for the quick replies. I believe they would be AC. Here is an example of what I am looking at.
    https://www.noveltylights.com/c9-100...hite-wire-7amp

And yes, with the vampire style plugs is what I will be using to attach the plug ends.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, another example is this. Are these "stringers" able to be cut down to 10' pieces and "vampire" plugs both male and female be added to each end? Thanks
    https://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p...ire--15110.htm

Post Thanks / Like

OK. That says a lot. These are usually filled with bulbs that are self-supporting. I mean that it doesn't make any difference if you have a "string" of 1, or 50. The limiting factor is your supply of AC power and the load handling of the wire you use.

There are some great screw in alternatives now, some are individual LEDs, drawing next to nothing in wattage. Others are incandescent, but most prefer the lower wattage LEDs so they can do more on a string. Just watch your limiting factors (mentioned above.)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on just plugging them into an extension cord with 120v power from a normal residential house hold power. I am not running them via a controller or anything like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast