Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Save effects generated from a combination of settings and interactions as a preset?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Save effects generated from a combination of settings and interactions as a preset?

    Not sure if this is more of a feature request, or even if there is a way to do this already. Often, I will stumble on a really nice final result for an effect that was a combination of specific effect settings, but sometimes also a combination of more than 1 effect. Sure, I can copy/paste the effect and it's multiple parts (in some cases) to other sequences or in the timeline. But I wondered if it's possible to save at the least an effect as a preset with the settings I've changed vs having to go track down that particular use somewhere else I've used it (in songs that often have repeating sections). I have to track it down, copy/paste, then maybe I copy something else to the clipboard, and I want to use the effect again. The ability to have a preset or a non default version of the effect accessible would streamline some of the sequencing, much like being able to access custom gradients. Or maybe a workaround like a clipboard history that allows you re-select something you copied in the last ____ items of the clipboard? Very possible there is design and technical limitations that make any of this unfeasible, but worth asking. I can see perhaps why saving effects as a preset that involve combining multiple different effects together, or integrates layers could be an issue if the exact parameters aren't present, could crash Vixen?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryville, Illinois
    Posts
    1,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Save effects generated from a combination of settings and interactions as a prese

    There really is no technical limitation because the copy and paste essentially does this already. It makes a copy of the effect parameters and stores it on the clipboard and then paste just recreates the effect from those saved settings. It would just be a matter of writing the bits to store it in some place other than the clipboard and give the user the ability to name it and have it in some library like container similar to the gradients and curves. I think there is a feature request similar to this out there that we did not get to.

    https://bugs.vixenlights.com/browse/VIX-2479

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Save effects generated from a combination of settings and interactions as a prese

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    There really is no technical limitation because the copy and paste essentially does this already. It makes a copy of the effect parameters and stores it on the clipboard and then paste just recreates the effect from those saved settings. It would just be a matter of writing the bits to store it in some place other than the clipboard and give the user the ability to name it and have it in some library like container similar to the gradients and curves. I think there is a feature request similar to this out there that we did not get to.

    https://bugs.vixenlights.com/browse/VIX-2479
    Awesome! Can't wait! Too bad it's not in dev builds for testing yet so I could be a guinea pig lol. For some reason, I had it in my mind from a previous conversation that there was an issue with certain presets if the elements had missing or different config. That was my thinking. It would be awesome if it had a clipboard "history" type of function where you could drag out previously copied selections. But that's probably me getting ahead of myself

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryville, Illinois
    Posts
    1,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Save effects generated from a combination of settings and interactions as a prese

    Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Awesome! Can't wait! Too bad it's not in dev builds for testing yet so I could be a guinea pig lol. For some reason, I had it in my mind from a previous conversation that there was an issue with certain presets if the elements had missing or different config. That was my thinking. It would be awesome if it had a clipboard "history" type of function where you could drag out previously copied selections. But that's probably me getting ahead of myself
    The same caveats would apply just like copying and pasting. If you copy an effect between two different types of elements, then the behavior could be different with the exact same settings due to how the elements are setup, grouped, etc.

    I would suggest going to the ticket and voting for it / adding any additional comments or features you would like to see. I would like to see more folks participate in helping us know which features are desired by more people. It would help us prioritize them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago - Southwest Suburbs
    Posts
    7,846
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Save effects generated from a combination of settings and interactions as a prese

    There was a POC branch quite some time ago for something along these lines. Geoff's maybe? I remember the discussions around it, but I don't remember why it ended up dying on the vine.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Save effects generated from a combination of settings and interactions as a prese

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    The same caveats would apply just like copying and pasting. If you copy an effect between two different types of elements, then the behavior could be different with the exact same settings due to how the elements are setup, grouped, etc.

    I would suggest going to the ticket and voting for it / adding any additional comments or features you would like to see. I would like to see more folks participate in helping us know which features are desired by more people. It would help us prioritize them.
    Even though it's already open to it, I bet you would get a lot of data and feedback/ideas if you reminded people or solicited. People often have a lot of insight, but forget to do anything with it

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •