Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mega tree base ring material ideas....go!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: mega tree base ring material ideas....go!

Here is one of my sketches when I did my octagon. If you want rounder, then go to 16 sided and 16 spokes

pole.PNG
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I used a piece of 1/2" EMT metallic conduit that I was able to bend by hand around some screws set in the circular pattern I needed. It has held up so far.
    01.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I may be misunderstanding the problem. Is the base ring on the ground or suspended? In any case, wouldn't a vertical tie directly down to (or into, if already on the ground) keep the ring from bending? I've used 1/2" EMT like this, suspended about 2' above the ground, and then tied it into the ground using cable and rebar stakes, 12 of them for a 14' diameter tree base. 3/4" EMT is quite a bit stronger - it was the top hoop of that same tree; it was 32" diameter, suspended from <a thing> in six places, and carried the entire weight of a 500# structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ags0000 View Post
    I may be misunderstanding the problem. Is the base ring on the ground or suspended? In any case, wouldn't a vertical tie directly down to (or into, if already on the ground) keep the ring from bending? I've used 1/2" EMT like this, suspended about 2' above the ground, and then tied it into the ground using cable and rebar stakes, 12 of them for a 14' diameter tree base. 3/4" EMT is quite a bit stronger - it was the top hoop of that same tree; it was 32" diameter, suspended from <a thing> in six places, and carried the entire weight of a 500# structure.
    The base ring is mostly suspended. The ground is on a slope. One point touches the ground, but the rest is hovering, as much as 24" or so. I tethered it to 6 or 8 stakes to hold it down. But it would bend quite significantly between the tether points. The way I look at it is that the tree exerts much more force on the ring than I could exert with a pipe bender. So if I can bend it by hand, it's not strong enough.

I can say that I'm actually surprised with the forces involved in the tree. Especially with wind and ice. I never expected this to be so involved.

So here's my new plan. I was looking around the house today for ideas, and I stumbled on an extra section of steel landscape edging I had laying next to the shed. This is basically steel flat stock with stake pockets punched into it. It's 3/16" thick, 4" wide, 16' long. https://www.siteone.com/p/332460 I can bend it horizontally into a big circle by hand, but because of the width of the stock, it won't bend in the other axis. I'll need a bit of modification to join these end to end to make the 40' circumference, but 4 bolts per joint should do that fine. I'll also bolt on pipe flanges to hold the spokes to keep it round and centered on the mast. The edging is 2.6 lbs/ft. So that should give it about 115 lbs of weight. I'll still stake it down with the chain and turnbuckles to the helical ground anchors. Now I just need to hope for a good weather day to do some fabrication before showtime.

Post Thanks / Like

barav nice job can you tell us what the dimensions are of the circle is and are the vertical pipes going in to the ground then stake that to the ground ?
    KEEP HI AND DRY

Post Thanks / Like

The cable reel square tube has never bent, or even flexed. And it holds its shape. I still think the effort involved in the others is more work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aknflyer View Post
    The cable reel square tube has never bent, or even flexed. And it holds its shape. I still think the effort involved in the others is more work.
    I like the idea of the cable reel spool, but those aren't exactly easy to come by, and I don't think they'd come in a 13' diameter.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jon,
    If the landscape edging doesn't pan out...., and you want to try making a ring out of emt conduit, let me know. I have a tubing roller, with rolls for 3/4, 1.25, & 2" emt conduit, It's the Harbor Freight one. Your not far from me, I'm over in Bolingbrook and could work out some time to stop by with it. To make a 40' ring would take 5 10' lengths of conduit. When you roll the tube you lose a little less than a foot on each end that doesn't get curved between the center and end rolls.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely going to keep you in mind. I've looked at that HF roller at least 3 times for various projects and never could justify it for "just one project" It's good to know somebody nearby with one. You're one of the closest blinky guys to me. Its good to know you're out there. Come on by and see my show at some point during the season. The info is in the facebook link in my signature, but it looks like you already found that. I'd love to come by and see yours too.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon, you won't believe how many times you will pull that thing out of the garage. I purchased one three years ago, and I've used it many times for many projects.

Once you learn how to keep the pipe "in line" while rolling, it comes in very handy. Just know you will mess up, at least in the beginning.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast