Thread: Rain proof power supply running over voltage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rain proof power supply running over voltage

I picked up one of ray wu's rain proof 5v 350w 60a power supplies. I was testing it and it was outputting 5.49v, so let's call it 5.5. Problem is, there is no adjustment screw anywhere so I can't tune it down. Should I be ok to run it? I had it on a line of 50 ws2811 pixels before I tested it and it looked fine, but am I going to burn out the chip really quickly at that?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rain proof power supply running over voltage

is that measurement with or without a load? If you tested it without a load, the measurement may not be reliable. Assuming you did test with a load, that is running a bit high, but probably not a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    is that measurement with or without a load? If you tested it without a load, the measurement may not be reliable. Assuming you did test with a load, that is running a bit high, but probably not a problem.
    It's averaging a reading of 5.55V under load of 56 pixels

Post Thanks / Like

if the pixels are controllable i wouldnt worry about .5v personally.
    can actually help with voltagedrop/power injection a little

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    I picked up one of ray wu's rain proof 5v 350w 60a power supplies. I was testing it and it was outputting 5.49v, so let's call it 5.5. Problem is, there is no adjustment screw anywhere so I can't tune it down. Should I be ok to run it? I had it on a line of 50 ws2811 pixels before I tested it and it looked fine, but am I going to burn out the chip really quickly at that?
    Can you send me the link?

Thanks
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrDudeMan View Post
    if the pixels are controllable i wouldnt worry about .5v personally.
    can actually help with voltagedrop/power injection a little
    Just a note ... my 12v pixels (Ray Wu Specials) will not run @ anything above 12v ... I have had to dial them in @ 11.75v for consistent operation.

Observe the entire prop (strings) to be sure they are operating correctly. I use DA_E131 v2200 - running the chase and RGB sequences at high speed can show problems before they start. There are a few SAFE tricks to help over voltage conditions.
    -Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

a diode inline will reduce the voltage. You would have to read the specs on the diode for the forward voltage drop, and make sure it is rated for the current your running. Higher currents require the stud type of diode.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aknflyer View Post
    a diode inline will reduce the voltage. You would have to read the specs on the diode for the forward voltage drop, and make sure it is rated for the current your running. Higher currents require the stud type of diode.
    Perfect to drop a bit of V+. Depending on the diode, you will generally see between .25-.5v voltage drop. Different diode families have different vF characteristics. A Schottky Diode has a lower vF (typically .2-.25v) than a Large Signal diode (avg .5v vF)

Average PSU: 30A so that will require a stud type diode. USE A HEAT SINK. Oversize the heat sink if in doubt. A cool diode is a happy diode. Size the diode for 150% of the total PSU output. A diode PIV of 50v is okay - get 100v or > if possible.
    -Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_Mixer View Post
    Perfect to drop a bit of V+. Depending on the diode, you will generally see between .25-.5v voltage drop. Different diode families have different vF characteristics. A Schottky Diode has a lower vF (typically .2-.25v) than a Large Signal diode (avg .5v vF)

Average PSU: 30A so that will require a stud type diode. USE A HEAT SINK. Oversize the heat sink if in doubt. A cool diode is a happy diode. Size the diode for 150% of the total PSU output. A diode PIV of 50v is okay - get 100v or > if possible.
    Just make sure the anode (arrow side) is pointing toward the power source or no current will flow.