Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pi Player v3.4 is "bogging" down

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pi Player v3.4 is "bogging" down

When playing my Halloween show, I've noticed that the Pi Player will occasionally bog/slow down at random times while the sound remains the same. The lights will then speed up to catch back up to where they should be. This is not happening with just a single controller, but rather the entire display. I have all of the controllers that are mapped in the Pi Player hooked up, so there shouldn't be any stray signals trying to find a controller to output to. The Player is hooked into my home network, though the switch it is connected to is dedicated to the show only (though the switch is still connected to the home network via ethernet).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pi Player v3.4 is "bogging" down

Chris,
    Is it possible for you to disconnect (temporarily) from your home network and see if it does it again? (Essentially isolate the show.)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Chris,
    Is it possible for you to disconnect (temporarily) from your home network and see if it does it again? (Essentially isolate the show.)
    I've thought about doing that, but have no idea how... The only way I know how to access the Player is via the IP address on my home network.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the FPP connected directly to that switch with the rest of your light network? If so, start the show and disconnect the link between that switch and the home network.

Also, if your FPP is not connected directly to the light show switch, I would do that. Though not a router, a good switch will have some intelligence and will not send stuff to a port that it doesn't need to-like the port going to your home and vice-versa. This will keep most of the traffic developed by the light network going between the FPP and the controllers. In a few that I've worked with, not sending any traffic through the home equipment made the difference.

All of this is on the thought that you are using a "switch" and not a "hub". (Hubs send all data to all ports. Old school, and mostly not found anymore - but...)
    This is one time that separation is a good thing.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestion, Al! The Player is connected to the switch with the light network. I will try disconnecting from the home network tomorrow to see if that resolves the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately that didn't fix it... still bogs down at random times then races to catch up to where it should be. At least now I know the network isn't the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using at least a class 10 micro sd card? Are your sequences on the sdcard or on a USB stick?
    I had similar issues a few years ago and it turned out to be the old micro sdcard I was using.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popo-B-Trippin View Post
    Unfortunately that didn't fix it... still bogs down at random times then races to catch up to where it should be. At least now I know the network isn't the problem.
    Dang.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any channels that are set up on the Pi Player, but for which the controller is turned off?

The Pi Player will bog down if it can't connect to an output.

This happens to me every halloween as well, since I don't have all the Christmas Light controllers up, and I forget to disable the outputs on the FPP.
    2019: ??? pixels, 24 E682's. Centralized 24v power distribution.
    2018: 2000 pixels, 2 E682's. 4 LOR
    2017: 33069 pixels, 20 E682's. 50 A/C with 2 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

All controllers are hooked up an on...

I think the SD card thought has potential... I upgraded the SD card last night and will run some tests in the next couple days.

I appreciate the suggestions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast