Thread: Multiple models one data pin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Multiple models one data pin

It is possible to run more than one model from one data out pin and control them separately?

I've got a window running 1 150node string then I have the data cable going onto a 75 node string (house trim).
    I would like to control them as if they had different pins.

If there is a video on this that would be good.

I've searched youtube and here but I can't find the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Multiple models one data pin

A good read

Think serial segments .

Post Thanks / Like

You did not mention whether you are running pixels or something else. Since you mention a data pin I will assume you are using some sort of pixel. After you read the link from the previous post, you should go to the AUSchristmas site and read the pixel 101.

In addition, here are a few tidbits for you:

• Your "Data Pin" is typically called an output port. The signal on that port should be running at 5v. Level shift as needed.
    • You can have many hundreds (even thousands) of pixels in a single chain / string. The longer the string, the longer it takes to refresh all of the pixels. I limit my strings to about 600 pixels.
      • I use a 25ms refresh time. Many people use a 50ms refresh time. It depends on what looks good to you.

• WS2811 pixels regenerate the data signal at each pixel.
    • You can extend the distance between any two pixels.
      • A simple two wire (data and V-) extension between two pixels can be a bit over 2m.
      • Adding pixel drivers and buffers makes the distance MUCH greater. 10s of meters is not difficult to do.

So the answer to your original question is yes, you can drive multiple props/models/elements from a single output port as long as the time to refresh the total number of pixels does not exceed your desired refresh time.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

BTW: If your real question is: How do I do this in the sequencer/show player, that is a very different discussion.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q