Thread: FPP and Xlights File Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default FPP and Xlights File Question

I'm new to the hobby and starting to build a mega pixel tree (it is 90% done). I plan to run FPP on a Raspberry Pi with PiCap. If I purchase a sequence pre-built in Xlights do I run that file(s) straight from the FPP software on the Raspberry PI from the same micro SD card....meaning I don't need the Xlights software? If I need Xlights, how do I get Xlights to communicate with with Raspberry Pi loaded with FPP and the PiCap hat?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've spent so much time researching the hardware, lights, electrical requirements that I've not spend enough time on researching the software side of the equitation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP and Xlights File Question

Most likely, you will need to adapt your purchased sequence to your own set-up. You would do this through xLights. From xLights, you would either upload the .fseq to the FPP directly (FPP Connect) or by manually uploading the .fseq file (generated by xLights) to your FPP.

Either way though--you will most likely get the .xml sequence when you purchase, and need xLights to convert to .fseq.

Post Thanks / Like

You do all of your sequencing in XLights and save the file. When you save it, it gives you an XML file which is the one XLights uses as well as the FSEQ file which is the one FPP uses. When you have FPP running you just open a web browser window, make your way to the FPP and literally drag and drop the FSEQ file (and any support files like audio etc) into the FPP window and it loads them. Then in FPP you assign them to a playlist and you're done.

Post Thanks / Like

A purchased sequence will never know your channel assignments. When you create your layout in xlights and assign channels to your different props, then you can import the purchased sequence file and direct it to your defined props to create the .fseq file that matches your channel assignments. No other option. Once you have the .fseq file, then you would'nt need xlights to run your show, if it has been uploaded to your pi's, bbb or other controller.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone that replied. I now understand conceptually what to do next, just need to brush up on the details.