Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with FPP Renard Channel output

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with FPP Renard Channel output

I have an issue I don't know how to troubleshoot... 3 of my Renard output channels aren't working in my sequences, but appear to be working physically.

Setup:
    Latest version (3.4.1) of FPP
    Latest version (3.6u2) of Vixen
    Single Renard64 controller

I generated a 64 second sequence file with a 1 second set level on each output to get at root cause, then exported to Falcon Player Sequence and transferred the fseq. When played through the Sequence Test, every channel lights on the Renard accordingly except for channels 50, 51, and 60.

In Channel Output Testing from the FPP, everything works as expected. The Renard lights up and whatever I have connected through the SSRs for the channel under test lights, including 50, 51, and 60.

If I play a sequence (I tried several), channels 50, 51, and 60 don't light on the Renard, and whatever's connected seems to light as a different element.

I've reviewed my display set up and it all appears correct. I'm not sure where else to look or how to troubleshoot any further. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with FPP Renard Channel output

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieShields View Post
    I have an issue I don't know how to troubleshoot... 3 of my Renard output channels aren't working in my sequences, but appear to be working physically.

Setup:
    Latest version (3.4.1) of FPP
    Latest version (3.6u2) of Vixen
    Single Renard64 controller

I generated a 64 second sequence file with a 1 second set level on each output to get at root cause, then exported to Falcon Player Sequence and transferred the fseq. When played through the Sequence Test, every channel lights on the Renard accordingly except for channels 50, 51, and 60.

In Channel Output Testing from the FPP, everything works as expected. The Renard lights up and whatever I have connected through the SSRs for the channel under test lights, including 50, 51, and 60.

If I play a sequence (I tried several), channels 50, 51, and 60 don't light on the Renard, and whatever's connected seems to light as a different element.

I've reviewed my display set up and it all appears correct. I'm not sure where else to look or how to troubleshoot any further. Any ideas?
    Post screen shots of your setup tabs

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I removed all the unnecessary color breakdown filters from my display elements in Vixen. That fixed the missing outputs. All 64 now light on the Renard when they're supposed to if I play my test sequence of 1 second set level per output. Not sure what part of that process actually fixed the problem, but it works now.

I noticed though that the later outputs light up as if they're taking signal from earlier ones. The later in the output list, the worse it seems to get. The earlier ones seem to play cleanly (i.e., outputs 1-4 are great, outputs 61-64 not so much...).

If I move my dongle to the PC and run the sequence through Vixen everything works great. I've seen posts about the similar issues on here, but believe I've taken the steps suggested in those posts.

I'll keep digging, but appreciate any help. Here's my set up screen shots I thought pertinent to the issue, and the element map I'm using if it helps. If there's a way to export that from Vixen I can't find it, so made this one based on suggestions in the beginner's how-to section. Let me know if I'm missing anything:
    Vixen Settings.jpgFPP Channel Output.jpgFPP Settings.jpgFPP Advanced Settings.jpgElement Map.xlsx

Post Thanks / Like

Does the 64 use multiple PICs? If so, try using 2 stop bits. There is sometimes a timing issue that is exacerbated when multiple PICs are chained together and slowing down the sending sometimes helps. I don't remember that was an issue with FPP sending to a single controller but doesn't hurt to try.

Post Thanks / Like

The 64 has 8 pics controlling 8 channels each. I tried 2 stop bits and FFPD froze... I also tried different baud rates and the only that works is 57600. One step either side of that lights up a single channel on the Renard and nothing else.

Tried exporting as Falcon Player Sequence and Falcon Player Sequence 2.6+ with and without compression enabled. All the same result.

Post Thanks / Like

I run my 64XC using 2 stops bits without any issues. By default the 64 is configured to run at 57.6kbps. Anything else will cause issues.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I am cross-posting this here from http://falconchristmas.com/forum/ind...5.new.html#new
    Hopefully for more visibility by the experts:

I think I found the problem, the FPP Pi is outputting invalid data characters to the Renard controller. I configured the Pi to send the data to a comm program on the computer via. two RS485 dongles (one on the Pi, one on the PC). There are packets of data such as this:
    7e 80 7d 7f 00 17 7f 00 4e 00 5c 00 00 00 00 00 00 86 00
    and this:
    7e 80 7d a1 00 38 a1 00 38 00 7e 00 00 00 00 00 9c 00 00
    Both of these packets are invalid due to the 7e and 7f in the data portion of the packet, and should have been 'fixed' with the corresponding 2 character sequence.
    Ref. http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...enard#Protocol
    I have next to zero software-fu. Is the data supposed to be formatted correctly in the sequence file in the Pi (coming from Vixen or XLights), or is the Pi supposed to replace invalid characters in the file with the 2-character equivalent?
    Hopefully one of the software experts can explain how the translation occurs...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

good job troubleshooting. I think you have DIY attitude! (gold star here)

Post Thanks / Like

Rocketman1 - Thanks! That did fix my issue. I finished testing yesterday and everything plays clean now as it should.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast