Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: FPP won't light ESP Wifi model chains

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP won't light ESP Wifi model chains

Quote Originally Posted by Macboy View Post
    I'll definitely take you up on that task after Halloween is passed!
    To expand on Martins statement; Another beauty of multicast is that you can send one Multicast universe and use it on multiple devices.
    Example 1: Device 1: U1 Channels 1-10, Device 2: U1 Channels 11-20 Device 3: U1 Channels 21-30 {with unicast this would be 3 universes transmitted}
    Additionally you can use the Multicast channel more than once.
    Example 2: Device 1: left side of yard - U1 Channel 1-10 and Device 2: right side of yard mirror with same U1 Channel 1-10
    Or even do example 1 and 2 at the same time.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    I'm not a fan of Unicast on ESPixelSticks. Multicast is far better to use on your wireless connections. When you get the other bugs out....come back and lets get your Multicast working on your ESP devices.

2 or 3 years ago I started with Unicast on everything, including ESP devices. I found things didn't work right on the ESP devices if another controller was enabled and not connected, or down for some reason. Someone suggest I try Multicast to get around that "Other Controller" causing issues with the ESP devices. I tried and most of my problems went away. I ran 22 ESP devices last year....all Multicast, and little to no issues.
    Okay gang. Im' back and having issues once again with those controllers so I figure now might be as good a time as any to try switching to multicast.

Here is the current setup in XLights and FPP (not working but technically SHOULD be working since nothing really has changed since the halloween setup which ran fine.)
    Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 10.29.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-28 at 10.29.48 PM.png

I CAN get the lights to light up using the web interface for each of the three ESP Wifi controllers. So it's just FPP that can't communicate with them it seems.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm....try changing the Source Interface on E1.31 screen from eth0 to wlan0
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry...I figured it out. But I should still look into the multicast stuff.....

I had forgotten to define the start universe numbers on each wifi stick. So many places to get the settings right but I'm learning ; )

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you found your solution. A great thanksgiving find.
    In Lights Therapy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234