Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FPP won't light ESP Wifi model chains

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP won't light ESP Wifi model chains

Something to muddy the waters (sorry).

I have a sequence I run when nothing else is running - it's just a soft orange light that fades up, holds for a bit and then fades away and repeats (like the sleep light on my laptop). So I looked out the window and the top tiers of the house had turned purple?? I put the start channel for Universe 20 and 24 back to what they were before I "fixed" them and the lights went back to orange......related? Or another issue i need to look into?

Post Thanks / Like

This past weekend a person I help had a series of issues. One of them was related to using the "group of universes" E1.31 output configuration feature. Most of the data was not being sent to the F16s. When he broke the output config into individual universe definitions (like it was in the older FPP versions) he started getting data at his F16. Not sure this is your problem, but it is a data point.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

The orange/purple issue probably just means that you need to correctly define your pixel color order in xlights. You can set the color order in the model settings.

RGB order, Ch1&2 make orange (default)

BRG order. Ch1&2 make purple (probably the color order of your strip)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    This past weekend a person I help had a series of issues. One of them was related to using the "group of universes" E1.31 output configuration feature. Most of the data was not being sent to the F16s. When he broke the output config into individual universe definitions (like it was in the older FPP versions) he started getting data at his F16. Not sure this is your problem, but it is a data point.
    Does that mean I should go into my FPP channel outputs and change them all to be explicitly defined? So instead of Universe 16 -> 4 universes I should put in Univ 16 -> 1 Universe, Universe 17 -> 1 Universe etc etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jguenther View Post
    The orange/purple issue probably just means that you need to correctly define your pixel color order in xlights. You can set the color order in the model settings.

RGB order, Ch1&2 make orange (default)

BRG order. Ch1&2 make purple (probably the color order of your strip)
    Or it could be you are off 1 channel on your start channel
    See below picture. 4120 start would give you PURPLE while a 4121 start would give you ORANGE
    Channel.PNG
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

** UPDATE **

We've solved this one. The issue was only the incorrect start channels on Univ 36 and 40. However one of the early suggestions was to use Multicast as well so I changed the start channels (to the correct starts) AND set it all to Multicast. I couldn't figure out why last night FPP wasn't outputting the test patterns because I was SURE it had before. But I doubted myself. A friend this morning just simply said "With FPP you have to output the the IP address of the sticks" and it occurred to me that I never did try the Unicast (to the IP address) once the start channels had been corrected.

Set the XLights setup back to Unicast for the wifi model groups, set the FPP outputs back to Unicast and disabled Multicast on the ESP Wifis and voila! We're in business!

Thanks everyone for the help here. Still few other bugs to sort out (like the colour issue above) but I'll save that for other threads. I'm learning more and more about this at each issue but this one was a real head scratcher.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of Unicast on ESPixelSticks. Multicast is far better to use on your wireless connections. When you get the other bugs out....come back and lets get your Multicast working on your ESP devices.

2 or 3 years ago I started with Unicast on everything, including ESP devices. I found things didn't work right on the ESP devices if another controller was enabled and not connected, or down for some reason. Someone suggest I try Multicast to get around that "Other Controller" causing issues with the ESP devices. I tried and most of my problems went away. I ran 22 ESP devices last year....all Multicast, and little to no issues.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    I'm not a fan of Unicast on ESPixelSticks. Multicast is far better to use on your wireless connections. When you get the other bugs out....come back and lets get your Multicast working on your ESP devices.

2 or 3 years ago I started with Unicast on everything, including ESP devices. I found things didn't work right on the ESP devices if another controller was enabled and not connected, or down for some reason. Someone suggest I try Multicast to get around that "Other Controller" causing issues with the ESP devices. I tried and most of my problems went away. I ran 22 ESP devices last year....all Multicast, and little to no issues.
    I'll definitely take you up on that task after Halloween is passed!

Post Thanks / Like

I use unicast on direct wired devices. The TCP overhead over Wireless is horrific. For Wireless controllers I use multicast. I try to limit the number of multicast universes as much as possible.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast