Thread: Matrix spacing for running video

Post Thanks / Like

Default Matrix spacing for running video

Hello all- I am pricing some things out and want to figure in a matrix. I want to be able to run video during my sequences. I spoke to to someone that run 3" spacing and it loos great, but he does more animation type video. I want to run as near to DVD quality as I can. TY for the input. GREAT site BTW

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Matrix spacing for running video

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonfamilylights32129 View Post
    Hello all- I am pricing some things out and want to figure in a matrix. I want to be able to run video during my sequences. I spoke to to someone that run 3" spacing and it loos great, but he does more animation type video. I want to run as near to DVD quality as I can. TY for the input. GREAT site BTW
    It's not so much a spacing = xyz resolution/quality as what is the distance it's being viewed from

Post Thanks / Like

dvd quality would be a 30 high and 23 wide p10 16x32 panel display which would be 15 feet tall by 23 feet wide. you would probably want to go with a professional contoller.
    P5 panels will reduce the size by half. still probably too big although people have covered their house with pixels.
    Maybe you want a big screen tv?

Post Thanks / Like

A good rule of thumb used in the Pro LED display industry is:

Pixel Pitch(mm)*8=min viewing distance(ft)

This rough formula uses visual acuity to help you determine the pixel spacing based on viewing distance.

For example if I have a P5 matrix (5mm pixel spacing):
    5*8=40 is the recommended viewing distance for someone with 20/20 vision to not be able to discern between pixels in the matrix.

Remember this is just a rule of thumb. Content and other variables play into viewing distance as well.