Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matrix spacing for running video

Post Thanks / Like

Default Matrix spacing for running video

Hello all- I am pricing some things out and want to figure in a matrix. I want to be able to run video during my sequences. I spoke to to someone that run 3" spacing and it loos great, but he does more animation type video. I want to run as near to DVD quality as I can. TY for the input. GREAT site BTW

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Matrix spacing for running video

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonfamilylights32129 View Post
    Hello all- I am pricing some things out and want to figure in a matrix. I want to be able to run video during my sequences. I spoke to to someone that run 3" spacing and it loos great, but he does more animation type video. I want to run as near to DVD quality as I can. TY for the input. GREAT site BTW
    It's not so much a spacing = xyz resolution/quality as what is the distance it's being viewed from

Post Thanks / Like

dvd quality would be a 30 high and 23 wide p10 16x32 panel display which would be 15 feet tall by 23 feet wide. you would probably want to go with a professional contoller.
    P5 panels will reduce the size by half. still probably too big although people have covered their house with pixels.
    Maybe you want a big screen tv?

Post Thanks / Like

A good rule of thumb used in the Pro LED display industry is:

Pixel Pitch(mm)*8=min viewing distance(ft)

This rough formula uses visual acuity to help you determine the pixel spacing based on viewing distance.

For example if I have a P5 matrix (5mm pixel spacing):
    5*8=40’ is the recommended viewing distance for someone with 20/20 vision to not be able to discern between pixels in the matrix.

Remember this is just a rule of thumb. Content and other variables play into viewing distance as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jguenther View Post
    A good rule of thumb used in the Pro LED display industry is:

Pixel Pitch(mm)*8=min viewing distance(ft)

This rough formula uses visual acuity to help you determine the pixel spacing based on viewing distance.

For example if I have a P5 matrix (5mm pixel spacing):
    5*8=40’ is the recommended viewing distance for someone with 20/20 vision to not be able to discern between pixels in the matrix.

Remember this is just a rule of thumb. Content and other variables play into viewing distance as well.
    Well that's not good news for me as I am trying to create the same pixel matrix Matt Johnson did in his 2014 video series. I have almost all the parts just waiting for the 6 strings of 170 bullet pixels each to arrive. In his build, the spacing was 2" (50 mm) and the resolution was okay, but not that great. I'm now thinking it should be built with 1" (25mm) spacing instead. Viewing would be about 35 to 40 feet away. Not trying to get blu ray quality but I would like video sequences to be discernible. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomsLEDs View Post
    Well that's not good news for me as I am trying to create the same pixel matrix Matt Johnson did in his 2014 video series. I have almost all the parts just waiting for the 6 strings of 170 bullet pixels each to arrive. In his build, the spacing was 2" (50 mm) and the resolution was okay, but not that great. I'm now thinking it should be built with 1" (25mm) spacing instead. Viewing would be about 35 to 40 feet away. Not trying to get blu ray quality but I would like video sequences to be discernible. Any suggestions?
    I also struggled with this when building my matrix. I believe that all the previous comments posted in this thread are relevant to your situation. My pixel matrix is located 120’ from the road and is on 2” spacing, 8’ in height and 16’ in width. I run video on it and am happy with the results. IMHO for the distance you are talking about and the materials you have acquired and are looking at using, the pixels will have to be tighter. Just like a TV screen in your living room, tighter pixels at 35’ will help with picture quality for what you are trying to accomplish. Other solutions like panels and maybe even led projectors ( I haven’t used either of these products) might be something to have considered initially but it sounds like your trying to make something work with the materials that you have.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for confirming, and yes you are correct on me using the materials already acquired. I'll probably be sleeping in the shed when my wife finds out how much I spent already. I think I can achieve the 1" spacing if I omit the spacers. Maybe even use smaller pvc pipe and take the ones I have back. Just such a pain to exchange with the Covid 19 situation. Well after measuring the 1" pipe, I could only achieve a 1.5" scacing. Also my width would shrink to 35" vrs. 70" inches if I use 1" spacing with smaller pipe; unless I but more pixels. Guess Ill stick with the original plan and make a more detailed one next summer, maybe even 2.
    Last edited by TomsLEDs; 07-16-2020 at 08:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 84x42 Monster Matrix from Boscoyo with 1.125" spacing and at 40 feet its ok.. Video isn't great. Some simple gifs look ok if you resize them. P5 and P10's are a much better option. I use the 84x42 mostly for text and effects because I wasn't happy with it for much else at my viewing distance. I added a 42 panel P5 matrix last year and people think I have a 90" TV out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uncledan View Post
    I added a 42 panel P5 matrix last year and people think I have a 90" TV out there.
    What would something like that cost on the average?

Post Thanks / Like

What would something like that cost on the average?
    Well, considering it's about $13-15 per panel, that would be close to $600, just in panels. Then you'd have to build an enclosure for that...and I shudder to think how much you'd have to pay for a piece of Plexi/acrylic that big.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast