Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Matrix spacing for running video

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Matrix spacing for running video

    Hello all- I am pricing some things out and want to figure in a matrix. I want to be able to run video during my sequences. I spoke to to someone that run 3" spacing and it loos great, but he does more animation type video. I want to run as near to DVD quality as I can. TY for the input. GREAT site BTW

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing for running video

    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonfamilylights32129 View Post
    Hello all- I am pricing some things out and want to figure in a matrix. I want to be able to run video during my sequences. I spoke to to someone that run 3" spacing and it loos great, but he does more animation type video. I want to run as near to DVD quality as I can. TY for the input. GREAT site BTW
    It's not so much a spacing = xyz resolution/quality as what is the distance it's being viewed from

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sauk City, WI USA
    Posts
    1,769
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing for running video

    dvd quality would be a 30 high and 23 wide p10 16x32 panel display which would be 15 feet tall by 23 feet wide. you would probably want to go with a professional contoller.
    P5 panels will reduce the size by half. still probably too big although people have covered their house with pixels.
    Maybe you want a big screen tv?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Marble Falls, TX
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing for running video

    A good rule of thumb used in the Pro LED display industry is:

    Pixel Pitch(mm)*8=min viewing distance(ft)

    This rough formula uses visual acuity to help you determine the pixel spacing based on viewing distance.

    For example if I have a P5 matrix (5mm pixel spacing):
    5*8=40’ is the recommended viewing distance for someone with 20/20 vision to not be able to discern between pixels in the matrix.

    Remember this is just a rule of thumb. Content and other variables play into viewing distance as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    University Place. WA
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing for running video

    Quote Originally Posted by Jguenther View Post
    A good rule of thumb used in the Pro LED display industry is:

    Pixel Pitch(mm)*8=min viewing distance(ft)

    This rough formula uses visual acuity to help you determine the pixel spacing based on viewing distance.

    For example if I have a P5 matrix (5mm pixel spacing):
    5*8=40’ is the recommended viewing distance for someone with 20/20 vision to not be able to discern between pixels in the matrix.

    Remember this is just a rule of thumb. Content and other variables play into viewing distance as well.
    Well that's not good news for me as I am trying to create the same pixel matrix Matt Johnson did in his 2014 video series. I have almost all the parts just waiting for the 6 strings of 170 bullet pixels each to arrive. In his build, the spacing was 2" (50 mm) and the resolution was okay, but not that great. I'm now thinking it should be built with 1" (25mm) spacing instead. Viewing would be about 35 to 40 feet away. Not trying to get blu ray quality but I would like video sequences to be discernible. Any suggestions?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kenai, Alaska
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing for running video

    Quote Originally Posted by TomsLEDs View Post
    Well that's not good news for me as I am trying to create the same pixel matrix Matt Johnson did in his 2014 video series. I have almost all the parts just waiting for the 6 strings of 170 bullet pixels each to arrive. In his build, the spacing was 2" (50 mm) and the resolution was okay, but not that great. I'm now thinking it should be built with 1" (25mm) spacing instead. Viewing would be about 35 to 40 feet away. Not trying to get blu ray quality but I would like video sequences to be discernible. Any suggestions?
    I also struggled with this when building my matrix. I believe that all the previous comments posted in this thread are relevant to your situation. My pixel matrix is located 120’ from the road and is on 2” spacing, 8’ in height and 16’ in width. I run video on it and am happy with the results. IMHO for the distance you are talking about and the materials you have acquired and are looking at using, the pixels will have to be tighter. Just like a TV screen in your living room, tighter pixels at 35’ will help with picture quality for what you are trying to accomplish. Other solutions like panels and maybe even led projectors ( I haven’t used either of these products) might be something to have considered initially but it sounds like your trying to make something work with the materials that you have.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Buellton, California
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing for running video

    Quote Originally Posted by TomsLEDs View Post
    Well that's not good news for me as I am trying to create the same pixel matrix Matt Johnson did in his 2014 video series. I have almost all the parts just waiting for the 6 strings of 170 bullet pixels each to arrive. In his build, the spacing was 2" (50 mm) and the resolution was okay, but not that great. I'm now thinking it should be built with 1" (25mm) spacing instead. Viewing would be about 35 to 40 feet away. Not trying to get blu ray quality but I would like video sequences to be discernible. Any suggestions?
    I have a 84x42 Monster Matrix from Boscoyo with 1.125" spacing and at 40 feet its ok.. Video isn't great. Some simple gifs look ok if you resize them. P5 and P10's are a much better option. I use the 84x42 mostly for text and effects because I wasn't happy with it for much else at my viewing distance. I added a 42 panel P5 matrix last year and people think I have a 90" TV out there.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    University Place. WA
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing for running video

    Quote Originally Posted by uncledan View Post
    I added a 42 panel P5 matrix last year and people think I have a 90" TV out there.
    What would something like that cost on the average?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Close to Hillsboro, OR
    Posts
    594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing for running video

    Quote Originally Posted by TomsLEDs View Post
    What would something like that cost on the average?
    Well, considering it's about $13-15 per panel, that would be close to $600, just in panels. Then you'd have to build an enclosure for that...and I shudder to think how much you'd have to pay for a piece of Plexi/acrylic that big.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Buellton, California
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing for running video

    Quote Originally Posted by TomsLEDs View Post
    What would something like that cost on the average?
    Its costing me a lot more than it would have if I bought outdoor panels the first time (had a very high failure rate with So. California heat). I'm replacing all of the indoor panels I bought from CFOL last year with outdoor panels from LYSON LED. Cost for P5 outdoor panels were about $23.00 a piece delivered. Boscoyo offers a 4x8 polycarbonate sheet for less than $50 that I used to water proof the front. I would guess off the top of my head it was at least a $1,500 project with how I built it. Could be done for less. I used a single Meanwell RSP1500-5 to power the whole thing ($359)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •