Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3 - Choppy performance / slow updates

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3 - Choppy performance / slow updates

It may be a case of the drivers for a given device only allowing certain rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Palmore View Post
    Now that I've got it working with the baud rate set as high as it would go in FPP, I'm curious how well it will scale with the rest of my setup. It's looking more and more like I will have to move to a different tech if it grows any larger.
    There is a reason many of us have moved to E1.31 based solutions. The raw data rate alone (100MB) gives the ability to have far more pixels with lower latency than a typical serial line can provide. The longer wire lengths (and easy access to wireless) make planning the data distribution simpler.

Martin

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the baud values are hard coded in the drop down in Vixen, so the higher speeds should always be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The mega arduino really isn't the best controller for that - look into the Teensy (version 3.2 works well) with the OctoWS2811 adaptor board. This combo will support 4000 pixels. Converting the code between the mega and the teensy shouldn't be that difficult (basically changing from the FAST library to the Octo) library.

While I haven't used FPP myself (I do use rpi, but I wrote my code myself), the rpi with FPP as your director might be a better solution than using a computer as the director (run the show). Again, it shouldn't require much if any change on your mega/teensy code to go from vixen PC based to FPP.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts1519 View Post
    The mega arduino really isn't the best controller for that - look into the Teensy (version 3.2 works well) with the OctoWS2811 adaptor board. This combo will support 4000 pixels. Converting the code between the mega and the teensy shouldn't be that difficult (basically changing from the FAST library to the Octo) library.

While I haven't used FPP myself (I do use rpi, but I wrote my code myself), the rpi with FPP as your director might be a better solution than using a computer as the director (run the show). Again, it shouldn't require much if any change on your mega/teensy code to go from vixen PC based to FPP.

Shawn
    Vixen on a PC vs FPP as show player would require zero changes to the Arduino code.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts1519 View Post

Shawn
    I use a Teensy with an Octo breakout baord for my Ambilight setup on my TV. Teensy can be flashed directly with the Arduino IDE if I recall correctly.
    https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyduino.html

The reason I have so many arduino controllers is I try to keep the LED counts below 400 per Arduino, the Tree I made this year was the first item to go above 400 (410)

It was something I was going to look into at some point, but in all honesty the Arduino controller works fine, I was just having issues with bandwidth over the serial connection.
    If I end up replacing my controllers, I will be going with something more specifically designed for this and using an ethernet based protocol.

needless to say, but bumping up my com port speeds, it solved all my issues (for now lol)
    Last edited by Palmore; 10-28-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I tell ya what, nothing but headaches again. I think next year I'll be swapping to E1.31 or otherwise.

SO I was testing originally on a Official Arduino and was able to get COM port speeds working at 921600 and talking to FPP and working Great!

I reflashed all my 3rd party generic Nanos with said code, hooked up my tree to test and nothing....
    I did some reading and found folks state the CH340 chip the generic nano's use can work at 921600 but I've had Zero luck getting these generic Nano's to light up the LEDs at that speed.
    I've tried going incrementally down in the speeds, and found thus far in my testing, 115200 is the only speed I can get the generics to light up my LEDs.

I do see the RX lights going nuts as if they are getting data, but assuming its just garbage when the arduino tries to read it and thus the LEDs don't light.

Whats odd, is I've since put my official arduino back into the mix at 921600 and now it wont light my LEDs either. I've spent the past 3 nights flashing and re-flashing trying to get everything working but to no avail.
    I have an official Nano arriving tomorrow that I'm going to toy with to see what speeds I can get out of it, and I'm going to test Vixen3 tonight directly with the official arduino I have on hand and see what speeds it will work with on it.

But, let me tell you, it's been nothing but odd headaches and stress. The code / speeds and arduino that worked 2-3 weeks ago, now don't and I can't figure out why, and the generic knock offs do work, but with the poor com port speeds.

This year is a mess, and I'm already planning out next years show to move away from Arduino generic serial adapters as I've way outgrown them in my display.

Post Thanks / Like

If it worked a few weeks ago, it should definitely still work now. It's gotta be something in your process that's throwing things off. Perhaps some errant line of code, or some extra or missing character on accident?

You are being sure to only have vixen or Arduino IDE open at any given time right? Com ports are exclusive use devices. You can only have one program open and using them at a time. So you'd need to flash the device, close Arduino, open vixen. They can't both be open at once.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I narrowed it down to a few things.

I first just regrabbed my code from backup and reflashed.

1. the knock off Arduino Nano's in use just can't seem to go beyond 115,200 with either Vixen 3 on PC or FPP on a Pi 4. (these use the CH340 USb chipset)
    2. my Arduino Duemilanove (the original one I got working at 921,600) just doesn't seem to work at any speeds, even swapped USB cables(rx light lights up. made sure to match com speed in Windows, Vixen, Code and FPP when using), changed data pins in code and physical between some other PWM pins as well, no joy. Yet the FastLED color palate flashes and runs... sigh, chucking this one aside for now.

3. the new Nano "Every" official Arduino came today, hooked it up and Windows only allowed for a com port max of 128,000. Thus I'm assuming its going to be the max of this device (same as the knock offs) no matter if I use Windows or FPP.
    The sad thing is, FastLED doesn't support the Nano Every as of yet, as it is too new of a board lol.

So I have an Uno on the way tomorrow.

Looking over how I broke up my light groups, only a few go over 200 per controller or close to 300-400. The new Tree I added (largest at 410) can technically be split into 2 205 groups and each one ran with an arduino nano at 115,200 just to get me thru the season. Same for anything else with a larger LED count on 1 controller.

If the Uno works, then I can just replace the ones with a higher LED count and move to E1.31 or otherwise next year, else I'll just use the cheapo' Nano's and cut the LED counts each one handles for now.
    Last edited by Palmore; 11-16-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I now have 6 Arduino Uno's (and possibly 2-3 more, I'm still debating)
    I've gotten these working at 921,600 in Vixen 3 with some test sequences.

I finished putting most of the lights up as of today, and about 90% done ready for a full show test. This will be the interesting part, running all controllers at once.

None-the-less, these seem to be working very well, Windows only gave a max option of 128,000 in the COM port settings. But I went ahead and set Vixen 3 to 921,600 and the Arduino serial connect speed to 921,600 and all is well.

I need to make a few data and power injection cables tonight/tomorrow and re-setup FPP for my show and dot he final tests.

Would you believe me if I told you I was pushing near 400 Pixels with 1 Arduino Uno mounted in the garage and between 20 to 30 feet of cable before it hits the first Pixel?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast