Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Power Injection Tees

Post Thanks / Like

Default Custom Power Injection Tees

So we are in the process of changing the connectors we plan on using going forward from the Paul Zhang/CFOL connector to a Weather Pack Terminal, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FU6BBKG. We have successfully added them to the 44 new props we did this year, but they required minimal power injection which we just ended up doing as reverse injection.

We plan on starting to convert a lot of the remainder of our LED stuff starting in January. Downside is that it will require a considerable amount more power injection. Currently on these old props we are using 3-2-3 tees from Crockett Fantasy. I am just trying to figure out what other people use for Tees when they use custom connectors.

I was originally going to use Pixel/Splice/Taps from https://holiday.lighting but I have the hardest time getting 18 gauge wire to fit in them. So just looking for ideas on custom tees or other methods of power injection. The biggest problem is that we do our show across an entire cul-de-sac (11 houses) so a solution where we can easily unplug stuff similar to the 3-2-3 tees would be ideal.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Custom Power Injection Tees

Stick with what works best, power injection t's

Post Thanks / Like

I manufacture my own connections. I use the automotive Weather Pack Terminals for all my connections - 1.5mm in 2, 3, 4 and 6 pin configurations. These connectors are rated up to 10A.

I use Anderson Power Pole connectors for power distribution. My power supplies are centrally located in two boxes. I use 5v, 12v, 24v and 36v supplies.

I use WS2012 pixels and strings. For my adapter: I use a female 4 pin to 1 male 3 pin (IN) and 1 female 3 pin (OUT). The prop gets a male 4 pin ... +5v, Data IN, Data OUT, NEG. Easy to daisy chain this way. Between props uses the 3 pin connectors and (for me) a 4 conductor #16 cable. I have a power injector tap on the adapter for longer runs to bring the +5v down stream.

For intermediate power injection for a prop, depending on how many pixels used, I tee-tap the V+ and NEG on the string (strip and solder then seal with liquid tape) to a 2 pin connector and inject power there. For my strips, it gets a bit more complicated but the same principle applies.

All my strips are 5v. All my pixels are 12v.
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah we are trying to get around them just because we are tired of having to twist hundreds of ends together. I think we will be running close to 50K Pixels this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_Mixer View Post
    For intermediate power injection for a prop, depending on how many pixels used, I tee-tap the V+ and NEG on the string (strip and solder then seal with liquid tape) to a 2 pin connector and inject power there. For my strips, it gets a bit more complicated but the same principle applies.
    Yeah I was thinking something along the lines of Tee Tapping but with assembling my own removable tees. At the end of the season we pack everything up and store it in a shipping container at one of my neighbors jobs. So there is never any guarantee that the props will end up back in the same place. So injection points change every year.

Oh to go back to A/C lights when everything was easier.

Post Thanks / Like

These work great ! Plus they don't require worry over weather proofing.
    Last edited by angus40; 10-25-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just make my own tees out of the usual 3pin/2pin cables. Or I build an injection point into the prop and have labeled them for layout if I need to order them a certain way. I use solder sleeves, the red or the blue ones, depending on how many cables I'm tying together. I'm a bit sloppy with just using white electrical tape to bundle the cables all up to look nice but it works.

Also if I run out of 2 pin cables I can use a 3 pin if I have to for a power tee. I just don't connect the data pin on the tee and mark the injection with red electrical tape to make it easy to id. If I do screw up and connect a 3 pin power feed in on the wrong side there really isn't any harm.

Beyond that I play with the brightness and lower it as much as I can as I'm sure you all do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    These work great ! Plus they don't require worry over weather proofing.
    These look interesting. And you don't have to weather proof them? Might have to pick a few of them up just to play with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JasonPortwood View Post
    I just make my own tees out of the usual 3pin/2pin cables. Or I build an injection point into the prop and have labeled them for layout if I need to order them a certain way. I use solder sleeves, the red or the blue ones, depending on how many cables I'm tying together. I'm a bit sloppy with just using white electrical tape to bundle the cables all up to look nice but it works.

Also if I run out of 2 pin cables I can use a 3 pin if I have to for a power tee. I just don't connect the data pin on the tee and mark the injection with red electrical tape to make it easy to id. If I do screw up and connect a 3 pin power feed in on the wrong side there really isn't any harm.

Beyond that I play with the brightness and lower it as much as I can as I'm sure you all do.
    I think I am leaning towards making my own tees using the solder sleeves as well. Just trying to figure out if I want to put that much work in. But I think in the long run it will be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjhodgefamily View Post
    These look interesting. And you don't have to weather proof them? Might have to pick a few of them up just to play with.
    Unganged = no weather proofing required

I also used the female connectors with auto fuse to make my own inline fuses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast